Sweet Harmony Linen Fabric...

Want more information about a certain fabric? Or what fabric will work for certain projects.

Sweet Harmony Linen Fabric...

Postby dandelionavenue » March 3rd, 2012, 12:55 pm

A customer wants me to make Kari Mecca's Sweet Harmony dress. It is made out of 1000 wt. Ulster Linen. Has anyone ever worked with this? 100% cotton linens invoke nightmares of wrinkles in my mind. :roll: I was wondering if anyone has made this dress out of a different material? Or could recommend a linen blend? Thank you so much for your help :D
Angela
dandelionavenue

Re: Sweet Harmony Linen Fabric...

Postby KathyD » March 3rd, 2012, 1:07 pm

I've worked with that linen and it is lovely to work with! Yes, it does wrinkle, but starch and an iron work wonders. :) I personally love linen for most anything heirloom and I suspect that you will as well. I know that the heirloom shops carry a linen/cotton blend called Southern Classics - I think it runs around $11/yd. I've made this dress with that fabric:

It's a bit heavier than the ulster linen and the weave is not quite as fine/tight and it still wrinkles. I don't think you can get away without wrinkles if there's linen in the fabric. If it were up to me, I'd use the ulster linen. :)

Kathy
KathyD

Postby dandelionavenue » March 3rd, 2012, 2:22 pm

Thank you so much for your opinion Kathy. Your experience is greatly appreciated. I will see if my client is willing to pay the extra for the Ulster. Have you ever made this pattern? I am wondering if it runs very true to size?
Thanks again!
Angela
dandelionavenue

Postby KathyD » March 3rd, 2012, 2:45 pm

http://www.finestitchery.com/apps/webst ... how/144122

This is lovely linen to work with as well and her prices are good. :) Sorry - I haven't made the pattern.

Kathy
KathyD

Postby dandelionavenue » March 4th, 2012, 6:11 am

I have always wanted to make this dress too! So I am glad my customer chose it. Kathy, do you know if handkerchief weight is the same weight as the Ulster Linen? I was afraid the handkerchief weight might be too flimsy?? Thanks again for any advice!
Angela
dandelionavenue

Postby KathyD » March 4th, 2012, 7:07 am

I can't say for sure on that Angela. I've used lots of different weights of linen in the past. I made a baptism outfit out of the Cambric linen that Farmhouse sells (boy's outfit) and it was probably a little bit (not much) heavier than the handkerchief weight. That was wonderful to work with, although quite pricey. You may want to contact Sally at farmhouse and ask her the question - she sells the handkerchief and the Cambric linens. I looked at the Ulster linen website and the handkerchief linen is 2.8 oz. while another is 3.0 oz. - I'm wondering if the 3.0 weight is the Cambric linen. I think it might be. If so, that's not much of a difference. Most shops/websites don't give the weight of the linen, so it's hard to know when shopping online. The linen/cotton blend is heavier than the handkerchief.

Kathy
KathyD

Return to Fabric Analysis