Fabric for a casual skirt?

Want more information about a certain fabric? Or what fabric will work for certain projects.

Fabric for a casual skirt?

Postby Alicia M. » January 8th, 2012, 4:20 pm

I want to make an A-line skirt for my first sewing project. The thing is I'm totally clueless about fabric. It's going to be just a casual skirt for everyday wear, so nothing fancy. I've not done any sewing before so something that isn't too difficult to work with would be good, too. Any suggestions?
Alicia M.
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Fabric for a casual skirt?

Postby Karens Krafts » January 9th, 2012, 10:28 am

I would think a cotton/poly fabric would be best. It will wash up nicely, and usually don't fray badly. Unless you're looking for a heavier fabric. What's the pattern number you're using. If we have the number, we can all go look it up and do better at suggestions. Just start another subject with the pattern number in it.
Karen
Karens Krafts

Re: Fabric for a casual skirt?

Postby Bunbun » January 10th, 2012, 5:11 pm

I'm with Betty. On the back of every pattern are listed the appropriate fabrics. Bring your pattern with you and the fabric store can help you toward the ones specified. Years ago a rep from a pattern company told me that the first fabric listed in the suggested fabrics was what the designer actually made the cover garment in, at least in the ones with photographs.

Welcome to the board and the wonderful world of sewing.

Bunny
Bunbun

Return to Fabric Analysis