cordoroy--hi guys!

Want more information about a certain fabric? Or what fabric will work for certain projects.

cordoroy--hi guys!

Postby mommyto2littlemonkies » August 4th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Okay so Hancock's has theirs out! Now....while in a store last week I noticed a cordoroy dress that was made different. Okay here goes, you all know I am not that good explaing things :lol: Instead of the lines (nap?) going up and down..it went side to side. My Mom said it would be easier to do it that way so there wouldn't be a problem with shading if you cut it wrong. Have any of you ever used it side to side? If I was to do it side to side, would I need the same amount of fabric? They are having a sale so I want to get some tomorrow. But they didn't have a lot, so going by the patterns I am using I need 5 yds total to do a size 2 and size 5 bishops. Probably the last bishop Kyndyl will get. Oh--I never got Sarah one made for the first day of school :? Knew I wouldn't! I'll be checking in this weekend a little.
mommyto2littlemonkies

Postby Smockette » August 4th, 2006, 2:16 pm

I have never used it sideways but you will still have a nap issue, it will just go from left to right around the body instead of top to bottom. In other words. If you cut your fabric double and had a center back seam, it would look like you had two different colors on each side of the seam. You would prevent this by cutting each piece separately and keeping it all in the same direction horizontally or could cut it double but you would have to turn the under piece the other way. I could be wrong, so someone correct me if I am. I have to think about this for a while. Hmmmmm.....

Bunny
Smockette

Postby nonie » August 4th, 2006, 3:35 pm

I am just trying to picture it and might need to go grab a piece os corduroy and play with it, but I am sure bunny is right. You would still have a shading problem, unless you cut each peice seperate.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby mommyto2littlemonkies » August 4th, 2006, 4:09 pm

I would probably cut each seperatly anyway, because it is thicker than what I use most of the time. So to keep shading away....as long as I cut everything the same direction and seperate...it shouldn't matter if I go top/bottom or side/side?
mommyto2littlemonkies

Postby Smockette » August 4th, 2006, 4:22 pm

Lay out your fabric on a large surface, one layer only. So, you are looking at both selvedges. Now put the pattern pieces down for cutting, cutting only one at a time. Lay them out as if you are looking at them, with the TOP of the pattern piece furtherst away from you. Do not turn them as you cut more pieces, just do them all lined up that way one layer at a time and I think you will be fine. Correct me if I am wrong, anyone. But that is how I would do it. Sideways corduroy, sounds like a new trend!

bunny
Smockette

Postby nonie » August 4th, 2006, 7:45 pm

It is a new (fad) I am trying to figure out if they are going to sell corduroy with the wale going sideways. As with everything, the market gets it before the homesewers.

http://www.cordarounds.com/catalog/baby.html
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Smockette » August 5th, 2006, 6:29 am

Cute website, Nonie.

Another corduroy tip which came to mind when I saw this website--If you press seams open on the ironing board it will leave an imprint on the right side. I use a one inch dowel I bought at Joanns years ago to press. Lay the seam, wrong side up, along the dowel and press the seam open. The garment will fall down to the side and not let the seam imprint to the right side.

You may also want to serge all your edges befor begining as this stuff ravels notoriously. (Whew, that was tough to spell :roll: )

Bunny
Smockette

Postby mommyto2littlemonkies » August 5th, 2006, 6:31 pm

Thanks Bunny! I printed it out and put it with the patterns!
mommyto2littlemonkies

Return to Fabric Analysis