Fleece and Bias

Want more information about a certain fabric? Or what fabric will work for certain projects.

Postby nonie » April 20th, 2006, 8:07 am

The greastest amount of stretch,goes around the body. So,that would be left to right.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Smockette » April 27th, 2006, 5:24 pm

Mickey, just so you don't end up in a little trouble later on, bias does not mean stretch. While it does have some stretch to it, It is the diagonal direction of the fabric. You have your length and your crossgrain and as Nonie so nicely mentioned fleece has some stretch on the cross. Most fabrics do. Your length is as it comes off the bolt. If you have a square of fabric that is just cut from the bolt and draw a line from corner to corner on the diagonal that is the bias. Many styles are cut on the bias as this gives a drape that can be flattering to many, myself not included. Bias garments come in and out of style. Right now there are quite a few patterns for bias skirts. These are cut so the threads of the fabric go diagonally, not on the length or cross. They can be a little more clingy. Generally knits are not cut on the bias because they stretch enough on straight of grain , sometimes both on the length and cross grain. Hope I don't have you totally confused and also don't mean to sound preachy. I just want you to have all the good info you can get . Any questions or comments, come right back to me so I can clarify if necessary. Hope this is a little help.
Smockette

Postby Smockette » May 3rd, 2006, 9:11 am

Thanks for the comments, Heather. Was glad to help. There is just so much to sewing and we learn so much of it thru trial and error, at least I have. There seems to be such a broad experience on this board. I am curious about it and think I will sign off and start a post on just that subject! See, you inspired me!
Smockette

Return to Fabric Analysis