linen for a child's garment

Want more information about a certain fabric? Or what fabric will work for certain projects.

linen for a child's garment

Postby babygirl » April 4th, 2006, 11:37 am

I am strongly considering using a linen fabric for a summer outfit for my 2 year old. Leaning toward handkerchief linen- I do have some linen samples in front of me to guide me-however- I would appreciate input from others here.

I have been told to launder the linen several times to reduce the wrinkling. Anything else I should know. Oh- the garment will be lined as well.

Will make choice in the next week - I am still working at the test garment to see if I need to make adjustments.
babygirl

Postby nonie » April 4th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Oh I love linen for childrens clothes. I will go through my Wendy Schoen lessons and she how she treats the linen,all of her little outfit are made using linen.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby nonie » April 4th, 2006, 10:24 pm

Well the way Wendy prepares her linen is to sprits it with water,spray starch and iron. she says that takes care of any shrinkage. As far as wrinkles,hum. Linen loves to be ironed,but do you love to iron?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Smockette » April 8th, 2006, 2:29 pm

I have sewn with a lot of linen over the years, mostly for myself. Currently I am making a bishop of handkerchief linen for a new niece. Linen is one of my favorite fabrics. Washing several times does note eliminate any wrinkles. In garments for myself I have prewashed and then constructed them in such a fashion that they were safe to put in the washer and dryer. When pulled out of the dryer, you get a soft look to the linen. Depending on the garment I may not iron it any further. But, for childrens clothing, I think it is a whole different issue. With linen you have to learn to love the wrinkles. You wash, you iron, you put it on and watch those wrinkles appear. Then you tell yourself that the wrinkles are a sign of real linen and therefore quality. Am I talking you into this yet? Let's try this---if you were to vacation on the Cape or Martha's Vineyard you would see a lot of linen and it would all be wrinkly, and it would all look gorgeous and expensive.

I think a heavier weight linen would be appropriate for a small boys outfit and it sounds wonderful. Just don't worry about it.

Just edited to say that I now realize that the garment could be a dress for a little girl and a handkerchief linen would be wonderful in that case.
Smockette

Return to Fabric Analysis