Pre-treating fabric

Want more information about a certain fabric? Or what fabric will work for certain projects.

Pre-treating fabric

Postby nonie » March 30th, 2006, 9:21 am

How do you pre-treat your fabric?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Smockette » March 31st, 2006, 6:28 am

Same as PeaceChick. I wash all my silks in the machine with a gentle cycle and some vinegar in the rinse cycle to set the dye. I use cold water for them and then iron dry. My philosophy is if it doesn't survive this I don't want it!LOL! I often wash most wools in the same fashion. I think the only thing in my stash that isn't prewashed in the machine is a gorgeous piece of cashmere and some sequined fabric. One of these days I will cut into that cashmere! If I do I will dry clean it and then proceed. I have had the cleaners steam press my woolen yardage on occasion as well. I have heard many say their cleaners won't do it but I have not gotten a turn down yet. I ask them to just steam press, no cleaning. It is usually very cheap too. I prewash all my trims as well before storing them. Have to do some today as a matter of fact!

To the shock of some of my working friends, when I used to work I would wash most of my suits and sweaters myself. The only thing I would dry clean would be a winter coat or a tailored jacket I made myself. Those suits used to come out great. The pressing was the secret. I have a closet full of them and would love to offer them to someone who could use them, but I am very petite and where we live now, it is farm and mountain country so here they sit.

bunny
Smockette

Postby vsm » May 17th, 2007, 9:18 pm

For cotton fabrics, we put ours through the washer then the dryer. Definitely wouldn't put the more delicate fabrics (in particular silk) through the dryer.

If something's going to shrink, best to find out before-hand! 8)
vsm

Postby Smockette » May 18th, 2007, 5:55 pm

Vanessa, I have seen some really neat handbags made of felted sweaters. Just cut and then make a casing and lining and put in one of those handles yu can buy at Joanns. Really cute and I am sure they wear like iron.

Bunny
Smockette

Return to Fabric Analysis