Brocades - Anything I Need To Know Before Sewing?

Want more information about a certain fabric? Or what fabric will work for certain projects.

Brocades - Anything I Need To Know Before Sewing?

Postby MakeItSew » September 27th, 2009, 12:47 pm

My husband and I re-did an upstairs room and I'm turning it into a craft/guest room. The walls are an eggshell-yellow with white baseboard trim and a white drop ceiling. I'm going to use golds, greens and chocolate brown as my accent colors.

I've purchased two bolts of this great Gold Bamboo brocade material from Joann's http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3310&PRODID=xprd728492 that I'm going to make curtains and accent pillows from; BUT, I've never sewn with brocade before. Is there anything I need to know about the fabric? Needle size to use, etc.? I can tell already that it unravels quite easily, so will need to do some creative edgings and seamings.
Belle
MakeItSew

Re: Brocades - Anything I Need To Know Before Sewing?

Postby KathyD » October 1st, 2009, 10:44 am

I love the brocade that you've chosen. I don't know of any special cautions or tips for sewing - just be sure to use a sharp needle. :) I hope you'll share pictures when you're finished!

Kathy
KathyD

Re: Brocades - Anything I Need To Know Before Sewing?

Postby MakeItSew » October 1st, 2009, 12:42 pm

Thanks guys! I do have a serger so I will put that to good use. I'm going to work on them this weekend, so I hope to have pictures to show you by Sunday evening. My husband is not fond of the material - but, then again it's MY craft room - LOL! I hope to have enough material over from the two bolts to make some accent pillows for the guest bed. The windows almost go from the floor to the ceiling to I'll need at least 3.5 yards for each curtain - should have some left.

Thanks for the tip on the sharp needles - I'm used to sewing cotton which works with just about any even slightly sharp/dull needle - so I'll head out and pick up some new needles as that is one thing I keep forgetting to change in the machine!
Belle
MakeItSew

Return to Fabric Analysis