What do you think of the bias tape???

Share your thoughts about patterns you have tried. Like 'em? Hate 'em? Or maybe you want information on a pattern before you buy.

What do you think of the bias tape???

Postby DeliaDuck » August 1st, 2008, 1:03 am

I can't seem to remember back when I was sewing for my daughter when she was young, maybe some of you can help here. On today's patterns when putting elastic in for the lets, wrist and ankles they call for the bais tape to be sewen in and the elastic goes through it. I'm not fussy on the outcome of this because you can move the gathers around once finished. I just know we didn't do it that way, years ago. No, I can't go back and look at all my old patterns because they were stored in our basement and in 2001 we came home from Florida and had 14" of water in our basement and I lost all my patterns and when we were putting them into the dumpster I made the insurance people add up the cost of these and yes over $1,000.00 worth of patterns, some of them you can't get today yes even the wedding gown pattern all gone... :(

Is there another way to put the elastic on these outfits I'm making???
Delia
DeliaDuck

Re: What do you think of the bias tape???

Postby nonie » August 1st, 2008, 10:06 am

It depends on what outfit you are making. There are several ways to do elastic. I like using the bias tape method on play clothes. Although most of the time I use a product called seams great. It is very light and does not add bulk to your casing. Also very soft on little ones skin.
Another method is to zig-zag over 1/8" or 1/4" elastic. Bar tack the ends and also the ends get caught in the seam so they are very sturdy. If putting elastic in the sleeves of something smocked, I will use this method.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby DeliaDuck » August 7th, 2008, 3:00 am

When ZigZaging over the elastic, should the stitches catch the elastic on top and bottom or go over the elastic to make like a casing for it???? Just wondering, I'm going to try this method on the next outfit I make with a gathered sleeve...thanks for the tips...Delia
Delia
DeliaDuck

Postby DeliaDuck » August 11th, 2008, 5:14 am

Thank you for the help...I'm going to try it with the zig zag casing the next time I make her something...Delia
Delia
DeliaDuck

Postby Karens Krafts » August 11th, 2008, 7:08 am

Seams great? What does this product look like? And where would you find it? Don't think I've ever seen it. Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby patpourri » August 14th, 2008, 11:19 am

Karens Krafts wrote:Seams great? What does this product look like? And where would you find it? Don't think I've ever seen it. Karen

http://thesewingplace.com/browseproduct ... inish.html
patpourri

Return to Pattern Evaluations