Can This Be Done??

Share your thoughts about patterns you have tried. Like 'em? Hate 'em? Or maybe you want information on a pattern before you buy.

Can This Be Done??

Postby pam marshall » May 29th, 2008, 4:27 pm

I want to do away with the zipper and shirr the back. Is this possible on the pattern?
McCalls 5650
Attachments
M5650.jpg
M5650.jpg (56.64 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
pam marshall

Re: Can This Be Done??

Postby jemimabean » June 15th, 2008, 6:20 am

Pam, I do this all the time! Depending on your tension settings & machine (I have Bernina and a Viking and they shir differently!) you may have to play to see how "much" elasticity you end up with. I tape the bodice & skirt pattern piece together on seamline for a solid back piece. This is your "length" measurement. For width, on my Bernina I can cut 1.5 to 2 times the finished back measurement (which would be the original back bodice pattern piece, doubled minus seam allowance for zip). I normally err on the side of "too much" when cutting the width. Then you shir away! If it's too big when finished (and steaming the shirring, which draws it up more), then you can retie your elastic thread to the measurement needed & cut away the excess fabric on the sides.

You can also use the bodice pattern piece for a contrast fabric & just shir that piece (after attaching to the skirt is easiest, I think.) Here's a picture of a top done that way (although this is a self-drafted pattern, not a commercial pattern.)

And here's another one:'
Angie
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new heaven to the human spirit. --Helen Keller
My Projects:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22360293@N06/sets/72157603612058917/
jemimabean

Return to Pattern Evaluations