Emmeline apron pattern

Share your thoughts about patterns you have tried. Like 'em? Hate 'em? Or maybe you want information on a pattern before you buy.

Emmeline apron pattern

Postby Donna in MI » March 26th, 2008, 6:48 am

I LOVE this pattern! That said, there are a few changes I made based on my personal preferences. But first of all, here's where you can buy this cute reversible apron pattern:

EDITED FOR NEW LINK (website now called Sew Liberated): http://www.sewliberated.com/patterns.html

You can see a photo of my version under the "Smocking" topic in this forum.

The pattern is simple and easy to follow. It has good instructions and helpful photos and drawings. Note that this pattern is a "one size fits most". This wasn't stated anywhere when I purchased the pattern and I was a bit disappointed because I was making it for my plus-sized sister. It turned out to be very easy to alter, however, because the pieces are, for the most part, straight blocks. As is, pattern designer Meg states she feels this apron fits best up to size 16 US.

My changes:
1. I made a continuous neck strap instead of individual neck ties (again, just my personal preference).
2. I didn't bother cutting the side/neckband strip on the bias as recommended. Didn't see the point. It worked out fine and saved quite a bit of fabric! I also cut the waist ties across the width of fabric instead of down the length. Again, saves yardage and works fine!
3. I will construct differently next time. With my next effort I plan to completely construct the bodice before attaching it to the skirt portion. This will remove the need for the bit of hand sewing the current directions require. (It's difficult to explain this when the reader doesn't have an actual pattern to refer to. If anyone buys this pattern and would like a better explanation of this, email me and I'd be happy to comply.)
4. Since I was smocking the bodice (yeah! smocking for grown-ups!), I cut the bodice piece using the full 44" fabric width.
5. The bodice tends to gape just a bit (at least on the plus-sized one I made) and I ended up folding in a couple tucks in the top bodice accent band to counteract that. Even so, it looks fine, I think. The bodice accent strips are NOT recommended to be cut on the bias and I thought maybe doing so next time would help alleviate the problem, but then again maybe not. It's an accent band, not a bias binding. One could do a bias binding, I suppose, but that would change the look somewhat.

All in all, I know this is a pattern I will use again and again. :sewing: It will make great gifts. And the fact that I can smock it if I so desire is nice, because my dd is getting older and not very interested in wearing pretty smocked dresses anymore. Meg, at Montessori By Hand, even says the pattern buyer can make as many as desired AND sell them for profit, too. All she asks is that the pattern name be mentioned.

I hope you've found this review helpful!
Last edited by Donna in MI on August 3rd, 2008, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donna in MI

Re: Emmeline apron pattern

Postby Donna in MI » March 27th, 2008, 4:58 pm

Vanessa, it's a one-size-fits-most. Meg, the designer, says she thinks it fits best up to size 16 US. For the one I sewed for my plus-sized, amply-endowed sister, I just widened it a couple inches and lengthened the bodice piece an inch and a half.
Donna in MI

Return to Pattern Evaluations