Looking for a hat pattern

Share your thoughts about patterns you have tried. Like 'em? Hate 'em? Or maybe you want information on a pattern before you buy.

Looking for a hat pattern

Postby kings_cords » January 14th, 2008, 11:10 pm

Okay i'm new at this so i hope i'm in the right place. I'm looking for a pattern to make a hat. I'm not sure what the exact name is but its been called a "gatsby", "ivy", "driver", and who know what else. I'm actually thinking "eight quarter" is the best description. I've seen them on ebay and other website... very pricey. heres a few link that could lend examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olive-TWEED-Gatsby- ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/WOOL-Tweed-Gatsby-H ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Newsboy-Driving-Gol ... dZViewItem

the third of which being my favorite... really all i'm looking for is some general information on hat making(a pattern would be fantastic). Or maybe just a point in the right direction. I have all kinds of materials such as tweed and houndstooth i've scrounged from thrift stores here and there that would work great. Any help would be appreciated! Much thanks in advance to anyone who can lend a hand.

Thanks,
-lars-
kings_cords
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Looking for a hat pattern

Postby patpourri » January 16th, 2008, 1:51 pm

Hi Lars,
Go to:
wildginger.com/
Then select: Wild Things! Accessories. You can then download a pattern for hats, including the newsboy design on one of your links. Good news = It's free.
Pat
patpourri

Postby Smockette » January 16th, 2008, 8:20 pm

We are also here to help you if you need some help once you start sewing your hats. Just post and help will be there.

Bunny
Smockette

Postby acutchin » January 19th, 2008, 3:24 pm

Hey, kings_cords, let me know if you find a good pattern. I have a Doria Borsalino 8/4 hat that I love, and had the same idea about making others out of old tweedy suits. I'll post here if I find a good pattern or any more info.

Thanks!

-- Aaron
acutchin

Postby kings_cords » January 21st, 2008, 1:48 pm

Actually the program that pat suggested above @ wildginger.com gave me a pretty good start. I made a couple hats that didn't quite turn out to be exactly what i wanted, but i think i have the method down. Now all i have to do is make the right shaped crown and i'll be in buisiness. I have included some photos hoping that somebody might have an idea about how i can alter the shape of the pattern for the crown of the hat to get it to come out closer to what i am going for.

2007_01230023small.JPG
Hat that i made following pattern exactly
2007_01230023small.JPG (55.57 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
2007_01260001small.JPG
pattern for crown
2007_01260001small.JPG (37.18 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
newsboy8gwlckbr1.jpg
This is a picture of a hat that is exactly what i am going for. The drawing on the pattern i used was identical to this hat.
newsboy8gwlckbr1.jpg (105.29 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
kings_cords
New Poster
New Poster

Postby patpourri » January 21st, 2008, 8:56 pm

=lars-
Aaron (?)
Thanks for the reply & the pics. Sorry, I don't know how to re-draft, (add/adjust) a pattern. BUT.... You have come to the BEST forum to seek input. There are so Many Fine seamstress' here, you can't go wrong. I LOVE the fabric in the 1st pic, great choice. The plaid gives a good reference point for adjustment.
Don't forget this forum -- we all want pic's of the Best and Final, with you modeling it my friend. I wish you luck!
Best,
Pat
patpourri

Postby raven » January 22nd, 2008, 11:07 am

raven
New Poster
New Poster

Postby kings_cords » February 6th, 2008, 5:29 pm

Okay, sorry it took me a while to get around to posting but here is my progress report. Still haven't quite got it on the nose but progress none the less. Again remember the picture of the brown plaid from above was the original goal...

greencap.JPG
Made this one from a women's blazer i found at a thrift store
greencap.JPG (40.13 KiB) Viewed 2375 times

blue&orangeplaidcap.JPG
I found a little over a yard of this wool plaid at a thrift store as well
blue&orangeplaidcap.JPG (39.5 KiB) Viewed 2371 times

I think i want it a little bit baggier look as far as the crown is concerned so i've been experimenting with the pattern by expanding it in different directions and in various places. I keep coming up with duds though...

On another note i am also curious as to where i could find more fabric like that i used on the blue and orange cap.

close-up.JPG
blue&orange close-up
close-up.JPG (100.05 KiB) Viewed 2369 times

I'm not quite sure what to call this type of wool fabric. It has very thick stands and is fairly soft. I have searched all kinds of online fabric websites and haven't seen anything like it. What i'm looking for is bright colors and earth tones. You might say more a a retro look when the fabric i've been seeing looks so boring and modern... Can't wait to hear what you all have to say (constructive criticism welcomed).
kings_cords
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Pattern Evaluations