Simplicity 1961 Misses Knit Cardi Wrap

Share your thoughts about patterns you have tried. Like 'em? Hate 'em? Or maybe you want information on a pattern before you buy.

Simplicity 1961 Misses Knit Cardi Wrap

Postby shorte85 » September 15th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Okay, here's what my first "clothing" type of sewing project is going to be.

Here's the pattern package I bought a while ago...

Here's the back of the pattern:

Now I know it says that I should use knit fabric, or light weight fabric. But what exactly is that? I mean I have a hard time depicting what fabric is suitable for a pattern. So I'm hoping you could help me out with that.

Also, the sizes are self explanatory, however in my situation it's a little different if that makes sense. With me being small, 3'5" tall I would assume that the length is going to have to be shortened for me. If that makes sense? lol

Also, I'm going to make my own binding, unless I have to use already made binding? Although I don't particularly like binding... HA HA Well not yet, lol haven't gotten used to working with binding (binding my first quilt - quite interesting!)

So yeah, I'm thinking this is probably going to be an interesting first clothing project. :)

Any suggestions or hints on this would be highly appreciated! :D

Also wanted to add that I'll be ordering some fabric on fabrics.com because of the great deal that it has to offer. So I'm probably going get the fabric there, not sure. :)
My name is CJ

Sewing Level: Beginner
Sewing Machine: Janome
Blogger Link: My Sewing Journey
Pinterest: My Boards
shorte85

Re: Simplicity 1961 Misses Knit Cardi Wrap

Postby Keeping » September 16th, 2011, 5:10 am

shorte85 wrote:Also, the sizes are self explanatory, however in my situation it's a little different if that makes sense. With me being small, 3'5" tall I would assume that the length is going to have to be shortened for me. If that makes sense? lol

What is your back waist length?

The measuring and pattern alteration guide at the top of this page might help you. It is for a different pattern brand but includes instructions for how to take measurements. http://www.kwiksew.com/resources/default.cfm
~~~~
Website: Keeping Home Join the Positive Homekeeping Weekly Challenge!
Etsy #1: Keeping Home I de-stash here.
Etsy #2: Grandmother's Parlor
Keeping

Postby KathyD » September 16th, 2011, 5:47 am

Yes - you'll definitely have to shorten the length somewhere. However, compare your back waist length to the back waist length on the pattern. Some people are longer in the torso and shorter in the legs (my mom is like this) and if that's the case, you would need to shorten the length less than if you are equally short in the torso and the legs. If I'm not mistaken, patterns are sized for 5'5" or 5"6".

Does that pattern have recommendations as to what kind of knits? Different knits will have different drape to them. A t-shirt knit isn't going to drape like the fabric shown on the pattern. That's more of a silky looking knit to me (which would be kind of a challenge for your first knit pattern). I'm not sure what you call that kind of knit, but I know it when I see/feel it - it's the same kinds that they use for all those wonderful clothes that don't wrinkle when you travel. :) Knits will definitely be easier for fitting because they are more forgiving, but a woven fabric will be easier to sew with because you don't have to deal with the stretch factor. :P

Kathy
KathyD

Postby shorte85 » September 16th, 2011, 10:26 am

Ha ha, unfortunately Kathy you have lost me with the fabric types. Ha!:P

Uhm, this is what the instructions say for fabric

Where it says on the back of the pattern package under the Fabric Options: Sized for stretch knits only: Lightweight Knits, and then says See Pick-A-Knit Rule

Now what does it mean by "See Pick-A-Knit Rule"?
My name is CJ

shorte85

Postby gardenbunnies » September 16th, 2011, 10:50 am

CJ, usually on the left side of the back of the pattern envelope there is a little ruler where you lay your fabric from where it tells you to and then you stretch it to the other place that it tells you to. If that length of fabric does not stretch to that spot then it is not stretchy enough and you need to choose something else. That is a pick-a-knit rule.
Scroll down on this post and you will see her explanation.
http://thesewingdivas.wordpress.com/2006/07/

Sylvia
gardenbunnies

Postby shorte85 » September 16th, 2011, 4:56 pm

Cool, thanks. I finally found it. lol this is what it says:

Dur, I probably would have looked over that for some reason. LOL
My name is CJ

shorte85

Postby Karens Krafts » September 16th, 2011, 6:10 pm

I'm short also (not quite as short as you, but short by most standards). The measurments for the bust and waist, are they correct for you? Think that would be more important than the length. Seems like that pattern drapes from the shoulders, so if the shoulder width would be correct, you'd just need to shorten it.
(Wish I was home so I could offer some "trial" fabric.....................will be home by Oct. 1st {I hope})
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby shorte85 » September 17th, 2011, 12:18 am

This month I'm not going to be able to get some fabric, I'll have to probably wait till next month since the fact that I have bought so much to start with this month lol... So I am going to wait til probably next month. ;) Otherwise the hubby might have to strangle me ha.

Trial fabric?
My name is CJ

shorte85

Postby shorte85 » September 28th, 2011, 10:37 am

Okay, I have a question. Now since this pattern says Body Measurements, Bust... Do I only go with my bust size or do I want to do both shoulder to shoulder and bust size? If so, how do I do this without completely messing up the pattern?

The reason I'm saying this is because I'm getting some trial material (thanks to the lovely lady Karen) and I don't want to mess up. LOL

So any pointers for I guess you would say probably downsizing the pattern especially probably in the shoulders area and I'm not sure with the bust area.

Any pointers would be grrreat! lol
My name is CJ

shorte85

Postby Karens Krafts » September 28th, 2011, 12:46 pm

The 'stash' fabric I'm sending is like what Kathy is talking about. Since it's just "trial" fabric, feel free to mess it up and learn. I now see how much you need, to make it, so I'm just waiting for your address.
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby shorte85 » October 1st, 2011, 2:17 pm

Thanks to Karen! I today received the fabric she sent me. It's a pretty turquoise, and shades of blue are my favorite color so turquoise is one of my colors. :)

So you can guess I'll be trying to figure out how to piece this fabric together. I have to first get some matching turquoise thread. Wouldn't want the thread to not match! :)

Can't wait to get started at least! :)
My name is CJ

shorte85

Postby shorte85 » October 10th, 2011, 9:11 pm

My pattern I know calls for elastic, however do you guys think I "have" to use the elastic? (don't have any on hand) but was hoping I didn't have to use it, or if I can do without the elastic in this pattern.

What do you think?
My name is CJ

shorte85

Postby genniewren » November 9th, 2011, 4:05 am

Where is the elastic used in the pattern?

If it is used to stablize the shoulder seam then you could use something else - maybe cut a piece of the knit along the selvedge and use that instead.
genniewren

Postby Rosieq » May 31st, 2012, 11:30 am

I would mark your center front to match up with the center back . When you determine the correct length for that front cut the same amount off the longer part of the front. Those front pieces are flowing and longer than the back. When you determine how much shorter you need to make it mark that on your pattern so you can fond the patterns on the shorten/ Lenghten lines for the next time you use the pattern.
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby angelique » July 5th, 2012, 4:34 pm

I so just saw that the other day and i wanted to buy it so bad its so cute!! but i didnt! Sorry i had to put my two cents in. :oops:
Angelique Perez
angelique

Return to Pattern Evaluations