Dainty Designs Pattern old Fashion Dress and Sunsuit

Share your thoughts about patterns you have tried. Like 'em? Hate 'em? Or maybe you want information on a pattern before you buy.

Dainty Designs Pattern old Fashion Dress and Sunsuit

Postby Diane 261 » August 12th, 2011, 3:32 pm

This pattern has been a nightmare. If you make it be sure that you read every page of the directions before getting started. You might also look at Sew Beautiful #'s 110-114 for ideas on how it can be changed. I am currently having problems with the square neckline. The directions for the trim (entredeu and lace) are really lacking. I have put the entredeu on and then had to take it off because I could not get it to look right. Help! The little dress looks so simple that there has to be something I am missing. :( Diane 261
Diane 261
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Dainty Designs Pattern old Fashion Dress and Sunsuit

Postby Hettielynn » August 13th, 2011, 8:14 am

Hi, Diane! Glad you found us. :D Maybe someone will come along that can help you with this. I think you and I both have struggled more than we imagined with our projects.
Hettie Lynn
Hettielynn

Postby Diane 261 » August 15th, 2011, 1:04 pm

Thanks so much for the hints. I will try them.
Diane 261
New Poster
New Poster

Postby KathyD » August 16th, 2011, 3:24 am

So sorry you're having so many problems with your neckline. It looks like such a simple pattern. :roll: I don't have this particular pattern, but I do know that entredeux and corners can be tricky. You can either snip the entredeux "bar" right at the corner so that you can pivot the entredeux as Jerry mentioned, or you can cut the entredeux strip a bit longer than the section that you're working on (ie. the straight section on the front, the straight section that goes over the sleeve, etc.), stitch that piece from corner to corner, then place the next strip of entredeux on top of the first, stitched down piece, overlapping them at the corner entredeux "hole" and stitch that piece on, etc. You will then go back and trim off the excess entredeux from your strips which will leave only the entredeux hole in the corners that will be a double layer. (sure hope that makes sense :P ) When you then attach your gathered lace, it will secure the doubled inside layer of entredeux.

Either of those methods will work. Clipping the corner is the easier of the two methods. I've used both of them in the past and it doesn't seem to make a difference in the finished garment look, whichever method you choose. I'm sure that it looks worse to you because you're working on it and viewing it only 3" away from your eyes. Remember that when the gathered lace is attached, much of your "problem" area that you're seeing won't be nearly as visible. :) I'm sure that you're more critical of your work than anyone else would be!

Have fun finishing up the dress! I hope you'll share a picture of the dress when it's complete! I do love this dress and had actually borrowed the pattern from my friend, but then didn't get around to making it this summer for Ella - maybe next year. .....

Kathy
KathyD

Postby dianec261 » August 24th, 2011, 5:38 pm

I finally got the neckline done thanks to your advice. I am now trying to gather some lace to put on the bottom of the dress. There is a row of lace, a row of beading and then the gathered lace. I have gathered the lace and used tiger tape to hold it in place, but everytime I try to sew it on I loose the gathers. Am I missing something? Maybe you hae a better way of putting it on. I did not have this problem on the neckline.
Thank you.
Diane Cook
dianec261

Return to Pattern Evaluations