Sizing patterns?

Share your thoughts about patterns you have tried. Like 'em? Hate 'em? Or maybe you want information on a pattern before you buy.

Sizing patterns?

Postby TJN66 » August 2nd, 2010, 7:34 am

Good Morning Everyone,
I have a dilema. Usually I rip apart an old garment and use that as a pattern but not this time =) I bought the Butterick pattern B5456 in Misses to make. I also bought the butterick B5042 and have this same problem. I did my measurements and they are (Im trusting you not to laugh too much here heheheh).
Bust 40inches
waist 37inches
hips 42inches
So according to the pattern for the bust and hips I need the size 18 but the waist will be too small. If I go by the waist measurement then I would need to make the size 22 pattern. But then the top would be too big. How do I do this? Any help I would greatly appreciate it. Do I go with the bigger size and then adjust the top? Or do I go with the smaller size and adjust the waist? Grrr...I dont own any dresses and have lost 86 pounds so I wanted something pretty for the rest of the summer. HELP =)
Tammy
TJN66

Re: Sizing patterns?

Postby TJN66 » August 2nd, 2010, 9:10 am

Also...I dont like to wear knits. I prefer cotton/cotton blends. Can I make this out of a cotton fabric? What adjusments would I need to make?
Tammy
TJN66

Re: Sizing patterns?

Postby KathyD » August 2nd, 2010, 10:50 am

Generally it's best to go by the bust measurement and adjust the waist to fit yours. It's much more difficult to size down the bust and get a good fit. I don't sew much for myself, so I'm just going by the rule of thumb from when I used to sew for myself more. :) I'm sure that others will have some good advice.

Kathy
KathyD

Return to Pattern Evaluations