Hello to all!

Please introduce yourself.

Hello to all!

Postby Ms B » September 21st, 2006, 8:08 pm

Great forum everyone!
Im in the Mornington Peninsula, VIC, Australia.
Unfortunately I havnt much time lately to sew but i can still talk about it right?

http://modiste.org
Last edited by Ms B on February 28th, 2007, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ms B

Postby Smockette » September 22nd, 2006, 1:57 pm

You bet! Nice to meet you. I am sure others will be checking in shortly. We have a few Aussies that frequent the board.

Bunny
Smockette

Postby nonie » September 22nd, 2006, 2:08 pm

Welcome, sure you are more then welcome to come and chat. We love talking sewing and we do have other Aussie's here. What part are you from?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Ms B » September 22nd, 2006, 7:13 pm

laineybug wrote:I must be doing something wrong.

I find links, click on them but they just link me back to pages with other links. I can't find any page with any information on it.

Lainey

Thank-you for your feedback.
Some links have a bit of info but its just started and so far i am the only person to add info and to be completely honest i dont know all that much, well no where near as much as some of you guys. But I am adding bits and peices everyday, unfortunately it will take time, depends on peoples willingness to share their skills really.
Anyone can add to it.
The motivation for starting the wiki is because im eager to learn and i know i cant be the only one!
Its non-for-profit, i am simply just hosting it and doing backups.
I hope that one day it will become a great free resource for beginners through to pro's.
Above all its supposed to be fun!
Ms B

Postby Ms B » September 22nd, 2006, 7:15 pm

nonie wrote:Welcome, sure you are more then welcome to come and chat. We love talking sewing and we do have other Aussie's here. What part are you from?

Hi nonie, love that name, its my great grandmothers name also.
I'm in the Mornington Peninsula ,Victoria
Ms B

Postby Ms B » September 22nd, 2006, 7:16 pm

shediditagen wrote:Be sure to check out Ms. B's website, it certainly is a different idea, I was surprised.

Betty.

Thank-you!
Ms B

Postby Ms B » September 22nd, 2006, 9:06 pm

Yes, alot of my friends say Whats a wiki?? and look at me funny!
1st question;
Ummm.... I was going to scan and send to keyra but sure it makes sense that other people would like the patterns too, so what do you think the best way to do it is? I could scan and upload to my server and give everyone a link??

In answer to your second question, (*hug* for asking) my first response was 'anything you like' but you asked 'anything in particular and i had to think about it and its actually quite a hard question. My sewing machine is packed away*cry* because i am sooo busy with work, but when i pull it out again ill have about a billion questions!

I guess what really interests me is peoples take on things like there little tips and tricks.
Something i found hard to find when i was looking, the quirks of different fabrics, like i wanted to make a jacket once out of electric blue fabric that i could only find in silk dupion and there was a lady(customer) luckily in spotlight who told me that it just would not work because of the way it drapes. So i searched some jackets on google images and there is some made of silk dupion. So now im confused. It may have been the particular type of pattern but i just dont know. Any way thats just an example.

When Im sewing i like to make things i dont know how to make and learn as i go(mainly because i dont know much,hehe), i do believe thats part of the fun for me. sometimes i can figure things out for myself or from the pattern and sometimes i have to turn to the information highway.
Ms B

Postby Smockette » September 23rd, 2006, 7:26 am

There is a great book by Sandra Betzina called either "Fabric Savvy" or " More Fabric Savvy". I refer to it often. It has all these different pages of fabrics alphabetically and tells you about drape, suggested garments, needles, stitch lengths, linings, etc. I referred to mine often when I was sewing all my clothes for work.

Also when I was doing all that adult garment sewing, I would try to do a new technique every time and then reuse it over and over so your expertise improves.
For example, a bound buttonhole, use that techinque over and over till you've got it down then consider it in your "toolbox".

Bunny
Smockette

Postby Smockette » September 23rd, 2006, 8:19 am

And let me tell ya---I have quite a wine cellar! :lol:

Bunny
Smockette

Postby Ms B » September 24th, 2006, 4:51 am

Ok I made these pages for keyla and the other gals. There at http://brodaigh.com/PatternSharing But im not sure if it infringes copyright. I hope not. Do you think I need to ask permission? Tell me what you think and Ill take it back down if you think it does.
I didnt really think of it until id almost finished and I put in lots of references to the author ect.
Theres only one pattern so far. Its really easy to make!
Ms B
Ms B

Postby Ms B » September 24th, 2006, 5:33 pm

I've been surfing around for a good link to discussions about fabrics for you.

You are too kind!
Ms B
Ms B

Return to Introductions