shell stitch

What those stitches are for.

shell stitch

Postby nonie » January 22nd, 2008, 4:14 pm

Has anyone here master the shell stitch done by machine? Whats frustrating for me is I use to do it and now can't figure it out. Must be an age thing :(
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: shell stitch

Postby Rettabug » January 22nd, 2008, 8:46 pm

Nonie are you referring to a shell HEM stitch? I learned to do that with my narrow hemmer foot, (3mm).

Here are my notes from heirloom teacher:

Tension: stronger (approx. 5.2 or 5.4)

Length: 3.0

Width: 4.0

Then to do a rolled hem without the shell pattern, we were to put the needle to the left of center.
I also have "2.0" written down beneath that. I'm thinking that was the tension setting for a regular rolled hem. Been awhile since I've done it.

Hope this helps you.
Rettabug

Postby nonie » January 23rd, 2008, 12:25 am

Oh ok, you did help. I forgot about doing the rolled hem part of it. It has been a very long time since I have done it.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Rettabug » January 23rd, 2008, 6:59 am

Nonie, you won't believe how happy this makes me to know that I was able to help YOU for a change!! :bigsmile:

What are you doing the scallop hem on?? (I know I shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition but to say "On what are you doing the scallop hem?" sounds so stilted. :hehe: )
Rettabug

Postby Rettabug » January 23rd, 2008, 9:28 am

No, you just get your fabric curled around that little hickie-ma-jigger loop on the narrow hemmer foot & the fact that your tension is set so high makes it snug up into a shell looking pattern. It is NOT easy to get it started. Heirloom teacher said to iron up 1/4 inch & use that turned up edge to help you.

Also, if you straight stitch a couple of times at the end of the fabric then pull it out real far & cut off the thread leaving l-o-n-g tails, you'll have something to grab ahold of to pull on & help get it going. You also have to go really slow....at least I do. It will miss curling around the wachamacallit very easily. (don't you love my technical terms? :hehe:)

I also use a bamboo skewer to help guide the fabric right where it starts to turn over. That gave me a bit more control.

It is a pretty effect but you have to practice on similar fabric BEFORE you do it on your good garment. I did several practice stitch outs & labeled them with what setting, L & W as well as tension, so I would be able to go back to see. My rememberer in broken. :rotflo:
Rettabug

Postby Hettielynn » January 23rd, 2008, 9:41 am

I'm interested in this too. I did a shell stitch (I think it was a shell, it was a while back!) on some soft knit when I was doing the Bunny's knit nightie but I didn't use the rolled hem foot.

And Rett, I always find it difficult to not end a sentence with a preposition. You are right, it seems so odd and stilted to use the proper grammar. I like your techie terms, I understand them perfectly. I use bamboo skewers a lot and also have a "purple thang" that works really well.
Hettie Lynn
Hettielynn

Postby nonie » January 23rd, 2008, 10:21 am

:rotflo: I write like I talk, very back woodsie. Yes, its a slip. I had promised to get those done along time ago. I love the shell finish on delicate items.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Rettabug » March 23rd, 2008, 12:27 pm

I'd be happy to do so, Steph but I have a better idea that will give you LOTS of pictures of different ones. Go to "Google" & type in narrow hemmer foot, hit enter and THEN go up to the top left hand corner & click on "Images". You will get tons & tons of pictures of the foot for all the different machines. I use that feature frequently when I'm searching for something.
Rettabug

Return to Machine Stitches