Keep those machine's humming

What those stitches are for.

Keep those machine's humming

Postby nonie » December 1st, 2007, 10:15 am

We have been doing alot of sewing and have a lot more to do. Now, is a good time to stop for a bit and clean, clean, clean those machines. I do a quick job when I cange bobbins but now its time to get serious and really get the lint out.

Do any of you use canned air? Does your machines use oil? Have you replaced your needle lately?

Any tips you use to make the job go quicker?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby SewingForAll » December 3rd, 2007, 3:46 pm

Nonie, Thanks for the reminder. I took your advice and boy did it ever need the cleaning!!
SewingForAll

Postby Smockette » December 8th, 2007, 7:49 pm

I don't use canned air. I bought one of those computer vacuum attachments for my SM. Got it at my dealers and it does a great job. I also purchased a set of makeup brushes at the drugstore. They are great for reaching in and getting the kitties out. They are much nicer than any brush that comes with your machine. Those things are stiff and nasty.

Every time I finish a garment or project, everything gets sucked out and cleaned and a teensy bit of oil goes in one spot and then I rub some on my needle. Just seemed like a nice thing to do :roll: .

Bunny
Smockette

Re: Keep those machine's humming

Postby mcmlinda » October 23rd, 2012, 2:59 pm

I don't keep track of my hours spent sewing, but I usually give it a thorough cleaning and oiling after I finish a big project, or just before starting one. Usually about once or twice a month. I'm not as good about changing my needles out, though.
mcmlinda

Postby nonie » August 9th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Thought it time for a reminder. I do not think I have been as good as I should be about keeping my machine clean.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby angelalee511 » August 10th, 2014, 4:50 am

Just got mine back from service last week. And boy was she dirty! I don't clean after every project like I should, but I try to when I see the little lint bunnies under my bobbin.
angelalee511

Postby nonie » March 10th, 2015, 9:58 am

It has been awhile since we have had a reminder to clean those machines. It is easy to lose your place with the last time your machine went to the spa for a good go through. meanwhile are you doing the daily maintenance?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby niener » March 10th, 2015, 11:17 am

I took both my sewing machine and my 10 needle embroidery machines for their spa days last Friday so they will be ready to come home when we do! I was lost over the weekend without them. I found myself cleaning rather than sewing. :shock: 8) :P
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby KathyD » March 10th, 2015, 2:20 pm

Oh my goodness Jerry - you'll just about need a loan to get those machines out of the shop. I took my serger in a couple months ago for a cleaning/tune-up (it was running just fine, but it had been a while) - my bill was $175!!! :shock: I really need to bring my sewing machine in, but that was a bit of a shock to me, so I have yet to do that.

Kathy
KathyD

Postby niener » March 11th, 2015, 8:40 pm

Kathy, you're right. Thank goodness I have a closet full of fabric and patterns, because my sewing budget will take a hit!
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby angelalee511 » March 12th, 2015, 2:54 am

My serger came back after $150 of work and it is still not working properly. Now that shop is closed. And just got the news on my sewing machine yesterday that the part can't be found for my presser foot. It's a spring that keeps it up. She's over 20 years old, so I guess I shouldn't complain. She's been a work horse. Good thing I have a back up until I decide what to do.
angelalee511

Postby Rosieq » March 12th, 2015, 5:11 am

Thanks, Nonie....I have been thinking my little Brother needs to go in for a good spa day this next week. he was a worker bee this last week and needs some pampering after seven 12 to 14 (or more) hour days!

If my machines starts sounding clunky or creating birds nests, I clean the bobbin area. While at that, I remove the upper casing above the needle and use my big makeup brush there to wisp out the lint up there. I don't oil, there is one spot my maintenance man does during the spa day. Same goes for my Baby Lock Esante. My featherweight? That is a different story. And my two year old serger (Project Runaway) has not left home, and I would not have a clue on maintenance for it...it gets a swipe here and there on a rare occasion...????
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Return to Machine Stitches