many Feet

What those stitches are for.

many Feet

Postby nonie » March 13th, 2015, 1:40 pm

How many feet do you have for your machine? As you can see I have many, many feet and probably use two of them. That is about to change-- I am going to use all the feet (well not all at once) and will give a report on how they work. Assuming I will know how to work them :roll:

2015_0313machinemarchsewing0003.JPG
2015_0313machinemarchsewing0003.JPG (78.65 KiB) Viewed 740 times
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: many Feet

Postby Rosieq » March 13th, 2015, 3:09 pm

Nonie, DEja Vu! I used a new foot that was in my accessory box. I have been using my regular pressure foot and just tapping to a quarter inch seam...because I don't think all fabrics and threads make the same 1/4 inch seam...and my quarter inch plastic foot has gotten wobbly. I went to a sew in today, and my foot had disappeared from my machine, I think it is getting worn in the armature as it has come loose quite often lately. So, I dug out my worn out plastic and was lamenting....so one of the gals offered me her extra foot. I looked at it, and it was oh so familiar. I have one in my accessory case, used it, and made the very nicest seams. I did no measuring, we will pretend it right on accurate quarter inch! However, those inaccuracies show up quickly and I had to smooge and stretch to get it all even when I used a large cornerstone. Looks good, it isn't being judged in a show (ala JD vernacular).

I will love your discussion on feet. Rolled hems, etc have me stymied...as well as several other unknowns!

Will we need to show homework? :rotflo:
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby nonie » March 13th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Linda, homework would be so much fun. :D We could compare stitches and settings and maybe learn some new ways to use these feet.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby pinecone » March 13th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Oh, yes please give us an update. I see rolled hem feet, I have several and they are a joy when you have teenagers during prom season. Dresses are never exactly right and they charge an arm and a leg for alterations. Not that I blame them. I also see one that looks like a 1/4" foot with the flange to keep the fabric on the straight and narrow. I didn't notice a zipper foot though.

piney
pinecone

Postby minnie63 » March 13th, 2015, 11:06 pm

Can't wait! And there are so many different uses for the same foot..:)
:sewing:
Life is good.
minnie63

Postby KathyD » March 14th, 2015, 3:34 am

I also have a collection of many different feet! I do tend to use the same 5 or 6 feet for most of my sewing though. I need to start using some of the others. I think that once you use them and become familiar with them, then you'll use them more often. Many of my feet are used for techniques that they weren't designed for. :rotflo:

I am always surprised when I teach a workshop and have put different feet required to do the techniques at those that will arrive without the feet. :shock: then they act surprised when they cannot participate! :roll: When I recently did a (free) workshop on pintucks, a couple of the ladies didn't have a pintuck foot. How on earth did they think that they would be doing pintucks??? I did say that a pintuck foot was required.

I can't wait for your report on the use of the feet! Great idea Nonie!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby NancyF » March 14th, 2015, 9:59 am

I love different sewing feet. Sometimes when I am not in the middle of a project I pull out the manual and a foot I haven't used in a while and practice with it.

I am like a kid with a toy whenever I get a new foot.

I am glad to have Nonie as a resource for this subject.

Nancy F.
NancyF

Postby angelalee511 » March 16th, 2015, 5:36 pm

I have about that many too Nonie. I still have to get used to some of them. Just learned how to use my rolled hem foot.
angelalee511

Postby peacechick » April 24th, 2015, 7:09 pm

I have most of those feet also. My husband just bought me a non-stick foot, too, because I told him I wasn't going to sew any more leather for him until I had the right equipment (he got the fact that I need special needles, but figured any old foot would do).
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Return to Machine Stitches