Help

What those stitches are for.

Help

Postby nonie » May 2nd, 2006, 7:09 pm

I am trying to do the hemstitch. I have Carol Ahles book and have followed her directions,plus tried some of my own. Its not working,any other tips I might try?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby nonie » May 2nd, 2006, 9:32 pm

Here is apicture of the hemstitching.

I don't know whether to try a bigger needle,different thread?

How do you do hemstitching?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby mommyto2littlemonkies » May 3rd, 2006, 2:57 am

I never could get mine to work right Nonie~

So I know own a henstitch machine. Well it is at my mom's, she ran across it at an estate sale but it needs some work. The parts are on order so we hope to have it fixed soon. The repair shop isn't sure if they can fix it but they are going to try. At least she doen't have much in it if they can't!
mommyto2littlemonkies

Postby Smockette » May 3rd, 2006, 9:32 am

When I was a child in the convent we were taught to do hemstitching by hand. We pulled threads from the fabric and then folded up the hem to that line. Then we stitched with the thread that we pulled from the fabric down the line of missing threads. Our stitched hemmed up the fabric and caught the remaining threads in the line in little bundles of threads. The overall all effect was one of holes and delicacy that held up the hem.

Today people mostly do this by machine, I think. Carol Ahles book is wonderful. Are you using a large needle, Nonie? Are you using real fine embroidery thread?I actually think your little dress is lovely. I think a lot of the machine heirloom stitches are really subtle, compared to the hand versions.
Smockette

Postby nonie » May 3rd, 2006, 5:51 pm

Smockett, I think my problem might be the thread is not fine enough. Will order some from karen and hope that works. I do have instructions from Wendy Schoen for hand hemstitching. Going to have to try that one of these days.

Stephanie,my machine does a stitch that works for hemstitch,I just can't get the holes open enough and am have balance problems. I have to lick this problem. So thank you all for your help.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

stitch

Postby babygirl » May 3rd, 2006, 7:15 pm

What stitch on your machine are you using????

I had replied earlier to this topic but deleted it since my answer dealt with attaching lace with pinstitching.

But- did find that heirloom thread by madeira worked best for me- did not fill up the holes as much as the mettler 240. Believe it is called cotona-very fine and was recommended bya local seamstress for french sewing.
babygirl

Postby nonie » May 3rd, 2006, 8:52 pm

I am using the parisian stitch, have also tried the venitian stitch but the parisian comes closer to the look I want. Thanks for the advice on thread.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby nonie » May 4th, 2006, 8:29 am

I do have a wing needle,but am afraid of cutting thread,so if i can get the effect without using the wing needle I will. But,if I have to use it,will do that to.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Smockette » May 4th, 2006, 9:56 am

I have seen wing needles recommended but would be afraid of cutting the fabric. I would do an experiment to test it out before attacking the dress. I would personally use a big, like size 16 needle. Paranoid, I guess. I have seen both recommended. I have used the parisian stitch as well. That is the one that looks like a row of backwards letter Ls, if I remember right.You have to fiddle to get the right stitch width and length but that is where Ahles book really comes in handy.
It's been a while since I have done much heirloom. I have a fair amount of hanky linen left over from my little bishop and was thinking of a doll dress for an AG doll where I could practice a lot of the techniques. This type of sewing for my grandaughter would be gorgeous but not practical at all in our climate or lifestyle. So, its to the dolls! Dolls fascinate me anyway.

Keep us posted of what works for you. Thanks.
Smockette

Return to Machine Stitches