Explore your machine

What those stitches are for.

Explore your machine

Postby nonie » April 24th, 2006, 10:59 am

What stiches do you want to learn to use on your machine? How many decorative stitches does you machine have? Have you used them all?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Smockette » April 24th, 2006, 4:55 pm

I have somewhere over a hundred stitches. Can't be sure how many as I am not near it right now. I would like to learn how to do shell stitch, and fagotting. I have Carol Ahles book so it is a matter of sitting down and focusing on her directions, I guess. I think the shel stitch is so pretty.
Smockette

Postby nonie » August 23rd, 2006, 4:34 pm

I took a few minutes(well hours) and played with some of my decorative stitches, I think I have come up with some combination that will make pretty boarders on hems.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby nonie » November 8th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Maybe since it is fall and some of us are doing a little more sewing, why don't we all think about a combination of decorative stitches that can be used as trim for jackets or pants and then share your combination with others. Most machines do pretty much the same stitches so I don't think that will be a problem. Maybe it will just be a color combination that you love
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby nonie » December 14th, 2006, 10:23 pm

Since Lainey suggested I do the hem on the top with decorative stitches, I have been using alot more of them. Funny how I had to have them when I bought my machine and then never really used them.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Karens Krafts » December 15th, 2006, 3:46 pm

Nancy, a few whiskers on the back of a slip??? And you're complaining? I'd love to have that be my only complaint. Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby nonie » December 21st, 2006, 4:35 pm

How wonderful Heather. Tell us more about the machine you picked out.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Jeanette » September 11th, 2007, 8:36 pm

In answer to your questions, the answer to the first question is I'd like to learn how to do a blind stitch hem, the answer to the second question is I have over 300 stitches on my Singer machine, about 16 stitches on my Husqvarna Viking Freesia machine, and around 77 on my Brother machine, the answer to the third question is I have used 3 on the Viking, and none on the Brother or the Singer machines.
Jeanette

Postby nonie » September 11th, 2007, 9:43 pm

Sounds like you could have a fun afternoon playing with your machines.
Just get out some scraps and start playing, I have found the neatest stitches and combination of stitches just by playing. Keep a note book of the stitches and the settings so you can do them again.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Karens Krafts » September 12th, 2007, 8:03 am

Jeanette, some of the stitches make really pretty decorative finishes for colars and such. I'm with Nonie, get a few scraps, and play a bit. I've done a set of stitches and put in ziplock bags, with little pieces of paper telling the settings (this was done in a class). Handy to do again.
As for the blind hem by machine, well.....................not my cup of tea. The stitches are always too close together, and no matter what I do, they show too much on the outside. I know women that do this all the time and are very happy with the results, but the sewing machine kind are just not for me. Karen
Karens Krafts

Re: Explore your machine

Postby Lexi » September 5th, 2011, 10:31 am

I bought a very small machine while I wait for xmas for a bigger one. It's a Lil' Sew & Sew machine and really does a nice job for being so small...it only has 8 stitches but that's fine for me.

My thing is trying to figure out the correct stitch for what I'm making. How do you know which one is correct or necessary? That would be one of my first questions. lol
Lexi

Postby Keeping » September 6th, 2011, 5:15 am

Sometimes the pattern will tell you. Or your sewing machine book. That won't tell you everything you want to know, but it's a start. :-)
~~~~
Website: Keeping Home Join the Positive Homekeeping Weekly Challenge!
Etsy #1: Keeping Home I de-stash here.
Etsy #2: Grandmother's Parlor
Keeping

Postby nonie » September 6th, 2011, 10:45 am

What stitch you use depends on what fabric you are sewing or what item you are making. I use different stitches when I am sewing knits or cotton fabrics. There is a lot of little tricks to learn and the gals here will help you just keep asking questions. Books are good but they are not personal and don't really answer your direct question. What type of thread? what size needle?

Another tip is to just sit and play with your machine, put it through it's paces and see what it does.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Return to Machine Stitches