Zig Zag issue

What those stitches are for.

Zig Zag issue

Postby nixon_family4 » January 25th, 2011, 11:37 am

Ok, so I messed with some of the settings on my machine, settings that were just fine before I messed with them, now I'm in a mess! My zig zag looks perfectly fine on the side that is down while I sew, but on the other side (the side facing up) it is really messed up. What would cause that, and how do I fix it!? :frusty:
nixon_family4

Re: Zig Zag issue

Postby KathyD » January 25th, 2011, 12:22 pm

This is probably a tension issue. Check your owner's manual and see what the setting ought to be for normal sewing. For the most part, I never mess with the bobbin tension. There have been times I've needed to, but if you can avoid that, it's best. Try resetting the tension back to the original factory suggested settings and see if that fixes things. It should look about the same on the top and the bottom of the fabric. If the bottom is very "loopy" and has lots of extra threads, then you need to tighten the upper tension. I would do your test stitching on some sturdy fabric - at the stores, they use something that is akin to cardboard! :rotflo: If you have a couple layers of nice, heavy quilting cotton or some denim or twill, that would be good. Do you know for sure that it's threaded correctly - that can make a real mess of things. Try rethreading - make sure that your pressure foot is up when you thread the top - it needs to be up so that it can pass through the tension discs.

Kathy
KathyD

Re: Zig Zag issue

Postby nixon_family4 » January 25th, 2011, 12:37 pm

I fixed it! Apparently my bobbin tension had been messed with, or come loose or something, and I tightened the little screw, gave it a whirl, and it worked! It must have come loose, since I had no idea I even had bobbin tension...I must read that manual! Thank you so much!
nixon_family4

Return to Machine Stitches