Topic is organizing--

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Topic is organizing--

Postby nonie » September 12th, 2017, 10:55 am

:shock: :shock: :oops: Ok here I go, already my great plans are in a mess. I thought I would start simple with one little drawer :roll: Not so simple (for me) I remember something from Bunny having a very organized drawer but I can not locate a picture. Was sure there was a picture. What a mess, and it is probably the most used drawer I have next to my sewing machine. It holds the cleaning brushes, screw drivers needles and all sorts of things you need right at hand. The problem is, how do I organize the drawer so what I need is at hand?

Is this embarrassing? Well, yes it is but I need help!!

2017_0912september0003.JPG
2017_0912september0003.JPG (82.72 KiB) Viewed 355 times

2017_0912september0004.JPG
2017_0912september0004.JPG (81.03 KiB) Viewed 355 times
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: Topic is organizing--

Postby nonie » September 12th, 2017, 12:00 pm

So, I see 6 have stopped by and not one offer to help. I don't blame you. Love the saying "a place for everything and everything in it's place" that's just a saying right?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby peacechick » September 12th, 2017, 12:02 pm

Nonie, I think we've all seen worse. Drawer dividers. You can even cut boxes (cereal boxes work well) to size if you don't want to buy plastic ones. If you have extra cutlery trays and the drawers are big enough, you can use them as well. I rescued some trays and dividers from my recently deceased mother-in-law's house since my brother- and sister-in-law didn't want them. Now, most of the drawers in my sewing room are "divided." I also use the Altoids containers to corral those tiny notions, such as snaps, hooks and eyelets. Don't you just love those handy tins? There are even plenty of ideas/tutorials online to "pretty" them up.
Last edited by peacechick on September 12th, 2017, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Postby nonie » September 12th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Oh thank you, sometimes I just need a push in the right direction. I now think I have a new hobby of decorating Altoids tins :rotflo: Found a box that fits this tiny drawer, in fact it is one Altoids came in. so things are a bit more organized and functional. Now, on the the next drawer.
Keep posting organizing ideas--
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby KathyD » September 12th, 2017, 2:19 pm

I was going to suggest drawer dividers as well. I did that in the kitchen at the desk drawer and it made such a difference! We all have those "special" drawers. :rotflo: :rotflo: :rotflo:

Kathy
KathyD

Postby jsm » September 13th, 2017, 6:23 am

I did not see this topic until today, so I was not ignoring you! :)

I also use drawer dividers of one type or another in most of my drawers.

I know a lot of people use Altoids tins and other containers to sort and organize things. It doesn't work as well for me. I am more likely to just drop something in the drawer, if I am not able to quickly see where it goes. For me, it is better to have open drawer dividers or containers, where I don't have to open and close small containers, or search for the correct one.

When I need something, I just open the drawer, see it, and can use it. If it is something that can be returned to the drawer, it is also easy to quickly see where it belongs and return it. Otherwise, I end up searching, losing time, jumbling covered containers and making a mess of the drawer again.

I think it is too easy to toss something in a drawer, when you can't quickly see where it goes, or maybe even know there is not a special container for it. I tend to think I will remember, and take care of it later. Instead, more things start getting tossed in along with it, or I start making piles on flat surfaces of things without a dedicated place. It is very much a snowball effect. Everyone else is probably just more organized and disciplined than I am. :)

Take baby steps, and soon everything will be in its place.
Jan M.
jsm

Postby gardenbunnies » September 13th, 2017, 9:36 am

Nonie, I don't like spending extra money for particular specialty organizing things unless I have to. One thing that I like to use if you have small things is an ice cube tray. I use them to keep my earring separate. You could use them in the sewing room if you have small items to separate, like bobbins even or small things like that. Also, another thing you can use is those small plastic containers that lunch meat comes in if you buy those. They are reusable containers with lids. You could use them without the lids as drawer dividers. Use any kind of small container that you have that fits in the space. Use clear plastic cups and put labels in the inside at the top so that you know what goes back in that spot. Here is a link to a picture of that.
http://www.diyncrafts.com/2748/organiza ... ntire-home
Sylvia
gardenbunnies

Postby sewmuchstyle » September 13th, 2017, 9:42 am

Mrs Nonie,
I use those little black office drawer type organizers and I have those little white 5 drawer organizers also for smaller items. I did buy a larger drawer organizers from Northern Freight and I bought a lazy Susan type organizers from Harbor Freight, those places have awesome items that I use in my sewing and crafts. I keep my embroidery floss in a fishing tackle carry case.
Robin
Your Talent is GOD'S Gift to You!
What you do with it is Your Gift to GOD!

Way down south in Louisiana
Robin ~ sewmuchstyle
http://www.myspace.com/sewmuchstylellc
www.myspace.com/myladyvantel
sewmuchstyle

Postby sewmuchstyle » September 13th, 2017, 9:43 am

Those Altoids cans, I keep safety pins and snaps in them.
Your Talent is GOD'S Gift to You!
What you do with it is Your Gift to GOD!

Way down south in Louisiana
Robin ~ sewmuchstyle
http://www.myspace.com/sewmuchstylellc
www.myspace.com/myladyvantel
sewmuchstyle

Postby nonie » September 13th, 2017, 11:20 am

Thank you all so much! this is going to help me get organized and stay organized. Nothing is so frustrating to me as having to look for a tool I know I have. I think I also gained a new hobby and that will be decorating Altoids tins :rotflo: Just keep the ideas coming.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Luzenia » September 13th, 2017, 8:50 pm

Nonie, I occasionally buy crudité (celery, carrots, etc. ) pre-cut in divided trays. I wash those and save them to use as segmented drawer dividers for holding all sorts of little items.

Luzenia
Luzenia

Postby KarenVA » September 14th, 2017, 10:43 am

I use silverware drawer organizers for my small stuff. Bed Bath & Beyond has some and you can use coupons!!

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... ers/14178/
KarenVA
"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa
KarenVA

Postby peacechick » September 14th, 2017, 11:13 am

You can always label any containers, such as Altoids tins, that you want to reuse but aren't see-through...
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Postby nonie » September 14th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Wow! you are all so amazing. I have a lot of ideas now, so no drawer will be safe. Love the idea of being thrifty.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby ShirleyC » September 15th, 2017, 8:35 am

I just saw this too!
I use trays like you get for office supplies, but I even found a couple of smaller plastic containers at the dollar store that have some dividers in them - molded in them - that work great for my smaller drawers. Those little plastic elongated baskets work too.

I also have a tray to keep my most used threads in that came with makeup years ago. Emily threw it out, and I grabbed it! :lol:

This is my pull out drawer, and you can see I have 3 trays in it, or otherwise the space would be wasted. I put my needles in the little plastic containers I got at the dollar store. That also lets me see if I'm getting low on those I use the most.
Attachments
IMG_0748.JPG
IMG_0748.JPG (84.56 KiB) Viewed 262 times
IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0749.JPG (96.4 KiB) Viewed 262 times
ShirleyC

Next

Return to On Topic Talk