Frannie sew along

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Re: Frannie sew along

Postby nonie » July 10th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Collar day. After much debating I decided to go with self fabric for the collar and add the suggested lavender piping. first I had to find my fabric scraps, then make the piping.

2017_07102017July50004.JPG
2017_07102017July50004.JPG (52.47 KiB) Viewed 215 times

Then added the piping to the collar

2017_07102017July50007.JPG
2017_07102017July50007.JPG (99.74 KiB) Viewed 215 times

I usually do not baste but thought I better baste this time, so the collar is just basted in place. Once it looks right I will sew, trim and under stitch and hope it lays down.

2017_07102017July50008.JPG
2017_07102017July50008.JPG (67.83 KiB) Viewed 215 times

2017_07102017July50009.JPG
2017_07102017July50009.JPG (70.77 KiB) Viewed 215 times

I think that is enough for one day.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby makettlenh » July 10th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Well either my laptop is misbehaving or photobucket doesn't like me! I uploaded a bunch of pictures of each step, and created an album just for this. Can't open the album! Anyway, top is assembled, just need to find my german interfacing for the back, and will Start on the skirt. it was interesting doing the yoke. Took it apart 3 times! Am a very visual person! Anyway, looks great now.

I have Week's perfect piping ruler and glad that I do. Makes the seam allowance exactly 3/8" as are her seam allowances! Hopefully I will be able to post the link so you can see them.
makettlenh

Postby Karens Krafts » July 10th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Very slow here. Thanks for joining in Ma. I thought I had read the seams were 1/2", so your post led me to go re-read that on the pattern. Thank you, thank you, I hadn't attempted to attach my piping yet. Had cut it to 1/2", so now I'll go back and cut it to 3/8".
Please everyone join in with this construction. You may help me, or someone else not make a mistake. I hate ripping out.
Karen
PS: Guess I need to go see if I joined the yoke pieces 3/8". When working on more than one thing at a time, I think I need to make sure that they at least have the same seam allowances. Changed the plate on my sewing machine to mm, so probably did that right.
Last edited by Karens Krafts on July 10th, 2017, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karens Krafts

Postby KathyD » July 10th, 2017, 4:31 pm

Nonie - I love the gingham with the floral print!!!
Charlotte - I can't believe that you cannot open the pictures for us. Boo-hoo!!! Maybe tomorrow?
Karen - I only remembered that the seam allowance was 3/8" because I write it on every pattern piece that I trace. Of course, the neckline says 1/4" seam allowance. I did notice that the doll dress has all 1/4" seam allowances. Oy - what a lot to keep up with!

I've worked more on the dress today.

Piping around neckline and bodice. I am doing the "advanced" construction method. It really isn't that hard if you don't think about it and just follow the directions. :rotflo: :rotflo: :rotflo: If you start thinking about it and trying to sort out the end result, it just confuses. I read and followed the directions and it worked out well.

I did find it easiest to sew the sleeve portion from inside the sleeve, following the previous stitching line from the piping as a guide. It involves stitching only a couple inches at a time, repositioning and repeating the process.

KathyD

Postby makettlenh » July 10th, 2017, 5:34 pm

ok so let's try this!

this was using Lyn Week's piping tool, trims perfectly
[quote][/quote]
Image[/URL

[URL=http://s146.photobucket.com/user/makettlenh/media/Frannie%20Sew%20Along/IMG_0269_1.jpg.html]Image

and first error!!

from a Gail Doane class, sew a second time around two or three threads into seam allowance, and trim close. Makes less bulk on the neckline

makettlenh

Postby alina » July 10th, 2017, 10:04 pm

Wow ladies, you are going fast! I love seeing everyone's progress, it is very encouraging.

I have cut out the main pieces; today I plan to cut out the contrast collar, pocket pieces (will be changing the shape and still deciding when to pipe it all around), and make piping. Also will pleat the front skirt, so I can smock at night. Will see if I get to any construction.
alina

Postby KathyD » July 11th, 2017, 3:36 pm

There has been a question regarding the steps of the yoke construction. The first thing that you do is sew the shoulder seams of the yoke front and yoke backs as well as lining. You'll end up with a strange looking circle (as was previously posted). I took that picture to show the next steps for a piped neckline version.

I have shown the fold lines of the circle of yoke pieces. You will pipe only half of that circle, from fold line to fold line - as shown in the orange. Then you will fold the unpinned facing pieces with right sides together to the front yokes and pin at the neckline only. Then, stitch around the neck only - using your piping stitching line as a guide.

If you're making a collar, the collar would be sewn to the neck area instead of the piping.

Hope that helps! Ask question if you have them - someone is bound to be online and have the answer. :)

Kathy
KathyD

Postby KathyD » July 11th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Oh - I forgot to add this to the previous post, but after the neckline is sewn, trimmed, clipped and pressed, I then understitch. I would do this if I had used a collar as well. I don't believe that the instructions suggest that.

Kathy
KathyD

Postby KathyD » July 12th, 2017, 8:04 am

If you don't read all the directions, this pattern is very confusing! I didn't cut the binding strips that are in the pattern. They are recommended if you are making a Frannie without a collar. However, if you use piping, no need for the binding strips. They are basically if you want to add a bias band around the neck edge., etc.

Also - news flash - if you are making the doll version, which includes panties - there's no directions for it. Obviously you can follow the dress instructions for the doll dress. I would highly recommend NOT doing the advanced bodice construction. Ask me why! :rotflo: :rotflo: :rotflo: And, while it is easy to construct panties, you'd think that there would be directions for them along with elastic measurements. Nope.

After finishing the neckline, I sewed the armhole seams (advanced method) and then piped around the bottom of the bodice. If you're doing the sleeves the advanced way, don't think about and evaluate those instructions - just follow them to the "T" and they will work. It seems that the sleeves are all in a knot as you stitch, but it works out. I would stitch about 1-1/2", then reposition and make sure that the part about to go under the foot/needle was straight, and I kept going. It works!

You want to be sure and stitch carefully around those curves!

I'm waiting to see some more pictures!!!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby makettlenh » July 12th, 2017, 11:50 am

Kathy, I don't have the doll pattern. Is that separate.
makettlenh

Postby KathyD » July 12th, 2017, 12:52 pm

Charlotte - the doll pattern came with the pattern. Maybe it was only in the larger size pattern - I'll have to check and will let you know.

OK - I've checked and the doll dress pattern comes with the Frannie's Big Sister pattern - the one from Lyn Weeks in the yellow envelope. I don't know if SB included it in their pattern when they bought the pattern rights from Lyn.

Kathy
KathyD

Postby KathyD » July 12th, 2017, 2:36 pm

How's everyone doing? Working on those weird armholes??? Don't make me think I'm the only one doing this!!! :rotflo: :rotflo: :rotflo:

The next step is attaching the skirts to the bodice (after the placket and side seams are completed).

I used double stick wash away basting tape on the dress front to hold it in place and get it positioned just right on the pleated piece. It worked great for that, but then was such a pain when I had to hand-stitch down the facing. The needle kept getting gummed up with the sticky from the tape. So, something to consider. Basting glue would be the same. :roll:

the worse part for me is hand stitching down the facings. Glad that's over with. The smocking is the fun part!

I need to see what everyone else is doing........

Kathy
KathyD

Postby alina » July 12th, 2017, 3:48 pm

I am working along; haven't started the stitching but all cut out and front pleated. Hope to start smocking tomorrow; stitching is unlikely as we are traveling.
alina

Postby makettlenh » July 12th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Mine is all together, just doing all the hand stitching if hem and linings. Found buttons today and need to do buttonholes. Will post pictures tomorrow. No smocking on mine!

Kathy it isn't in the SB ones :roll:
makettlenh

Postby nonie » July 12th, 2017, 5:25 pm

I have the piping done but the weird armholes have thrown me for a loop :shock: I have read the instructions very carefully and I don't get it!! :ranting:
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

PreviousNext

Return to On Topic Talk