Frannie sew along

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Re: Frannie sew along

Postby alina » July 8th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Oh I just noticed the sew-along...-- I will try to cut out mine this coming week and get going on it.
alina

Postby KathyD » July 8th, 2017, 1:48 pm

I plan to cut out and catch up as well Alina! So glad to have you join along!!!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby Karens Krafts » July 8th, 2017, 1:50 pm

Oh Hallelujah! I was getting so discouraged with the lack of participation. With just doing one step a day, you won't have any problem catching up. I'm stuck with the binding at this point, so it will be Tuesday before I'll have the next step done. But Nonie is doing the collar version, so hers will post before mine I hope.
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby makettlenh » July 8th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Ok so I will jump in! I'll make a size 5, non-smocked, collarless. It will be for charity as my little one is now in a size 10! Need to go stash diving!
makettlenh

Postby nonie » July 9th, 2017, 10:14 am

I probably will not get to the collar until tomorrow. it looks like my choice will be the one piece collar done in white fabric. Piping for this fabric is a problem, so I am thinking of going with the fabric for piping and not a contrasting color. so while I make my piping everyone has time to catch up.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby nonie » July 9th, 2017, 11:13 am

Need help, sew along people, I have no clue as to what color to use for my piping? No pinks works, white seems really stark, nothing I try seems to work. help!!
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby makettlenh » July 9th, 2017, 11:37 am

Nonie is that purple in the print too? Do you have a pink or purple gingham? I think the gingham would add a nice contrast.
makettlenh

Postby nonie » July 9th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Yes, I do have gingham :D :D :D I think I even have purple gingham!! :mademyday:
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby makettlenh » July 9th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Last edited by makettlenh on July 10th, 2017, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
makettlenh

Postby KathyD » July 9th, 2017, 6:37 pm

I resize my photos on Photobucket. Works great and makes it easy to post. It's also free. :)

I traced my pattern last night and chose fabrics. Then I had to decide what else I was going to do and choose the accents before I go any further.

This is what it looks like in my sewing room when I plan - I have to camp out the buckets!!!.

So, now I've caught up to Nonie and Karen. :P

Kathy
KathyD

Postby Karens Krafts » July 9th, 2017, 7:50 pm

You've gone way beyond catch up. You're way ahead, so now you have to be the one to answer ALL questions. LOL. Love how you figure out the add on's.
I'm so glad Alina and Ma are joining. Maybe they won't be speedy super sewers. Of course we knew when Kathy joined, she'd just buzz ahead.......
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby KathyD » July 10th, 2017, 3:46 am

A couple things that I did differently than the pattern:

1. I didn't see the pattern call for interfacing (though I don't read directions too closely - maybe it does and I missed it). I underlined the bodice pieces with white batiste - this will also serve in leu of interfacing for the button/buttonholes. Only half of the back piece needs to be underlined if you choose to do that - you can see the half lined back in the second "mess" pictures if you look closely. I would recommend that interfacing be used behind the buttons/buttonhole area - it can be baby interfacing, German interfacing, batiste, etc., but something should be used.

2. I am not using a collar and I know that my little ones don't like things that fit too closely to the natural neckline, so I trimmed 3/8" off the neckline all the way around. I'm hoping that's not too much. It looks good to me. I piped the neckline. I have to say that I was thrilled to find just the right match of yellow in my piping/spaghetti bias box. I don't think that I showed the mess of that box - it's like the others when I dump it out. :rotflo: :rotflo: :rotflo:

As you can see, I had to stitch down the trims before piping and sewing the neckline.

Hope more of the ladies will be joining us!!! There's still plenty of time!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby makettlenh » July 10th, 2017, 6:53 am

I was going to pipe the neckline as well as the sleeve ends. Just to break up the floral. I will have to see if I can access my photobucket account.

hoping to move along today.
makettlenh

Postby Karens Krafts » July 10th, 2017, 7:49 am

Good morning my sewing family. It's going to be another scorcher here. But not like the last few. Cooling down a bit.
I'll be off to Costco as soon as it opens to get a new iron. Mine spit a rusty spot the other day. I seem to have to buy one about once a year, and have just been seeing that as a sewing cost. I've tried everything from distilled water (not advised) to tap water, and this time I've been using bottled spring water. It's always the steam feature that goes. And I need the steam to get the fabric fold crease out to make the piping.
I just went to photobucket and was able to sign in. Had to guess what I'd used as a password, and got it the first try. I know I was able to post here at one time, but life has made a lot of changes to me in the last few years, and I haven't a clue how to do it now. And I was posting from a camera photo, not a phone photo. If someone here knows how to do it from an iPhone, would you please send me a step by step instructions? Just PM them to me please?
Jan, continuing prayers for you, your house, and family.
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby KathyD » July 10th, 2017, 11:02 am

Karen - once you sign in to photo bucket there should be a place that says "upload". You hit that button and then select the pictures to upload. Then you will be able to select the picture in photo bucket and get the http address needed to post the pictures.

Kathy
KathyD

PreviousNext

Return to On Topic Talk