Questions to the Viking owners

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Questions to the Viking owners

Postby nonie » May 19th, 2017, 2:22 pm

Does your machine cut the thread when it is done making buttonholes? If so is there a way to turn that feature off?
Can you make a hundred buttonholes but the second you start on the real thing it just sits in one spot making a huge ball of thread?
Do you get a signal saying you have a loose thread some place and you can never find it?
:thud:
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: Questions to the Viking owners

Postby Karens Krafts » May 19th, 2017, 3:27 pm

Yes, mine cuts the thread upon completion of the buttonhole. I don't have any idea if that can be eliminated or not. I wouldn't think so since it's a computerized machine. I've made lots of those balls of thread, so I guess it's just the machine. I think it sometimes has to do with the wheel being lined up with the white mark or the seam restricting it. When I've had that 'loose thread' signal it's always been hiding in the cutter. I take apart all the pieces I know how to put back under the plate, then push the thread cutter. I can usually see it as it's flying by. '
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby jsm » May 19th, 2017, 4:41 pm

I strongly dislike all the automatic thread cutters on newer machines. I think they sometimes cut the thread too short.

I never used the thread cutter on my Viking, for regular sewing. It could be disabled for that. But, it still automatically cut the threads for buttonholes, so I gather there is no way to override it for buttonholes. :(

I never received a message for a loos thread.

The thread balls and no forward movement by machine usually indicated a problem with the automatic buttonhole foot wheel - especially lining up that white mark as Karen mentioned.

I often hear others recommend, as Del did, using an embroidery program to make buttonholes. Five Star Fonts has a set of free buttonholes. I have a free set from another digitizer that is now out of business. I think several other digitizers offer them. I have never tried them, though. Maybe you can and report back to us! :)

Jan M.
jsm

Postby nonie » May 19th, 2017, 5:01 pm

I had practiced making manual buttonholes and thought I had it down. First buttonhole it makes a ball of thread, won't move forward. The thread cutter makes noise but doesn't cut any thing. :( I wish I had my repairman.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby nonie » May 19th, 2017, 5:03 pm

Karen, I will spend some time looking for the thread that is hiding some place.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby minnie63 » May 20th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Nonie, try pulling the thread up through the throat plate, like we did with the old machines. Might stop the tangles. m
Life is good.
minnie63

Postby angelalee511 » May 22nd, 2017, 8:20 am

I agree with Mary. That's what I do. Pull up the bobbin thread and a long length of top thread. Hold them both until you get it going. That's what I do. If you are continuously getting those thread balls, you might have a feeding problem. I can't turn off the automatic thread cutter on button holes. I like the idea of doing them on an EM though. I don't have one though. LOL.
angelalee511

Postby nonie » May 22nd, 2017, 8:34 am

Thank you for your help, I will try to do better pulling my threads and holding them to get things started. I would not mind my cutter if it worked, it makes all the noise and does not cut the thread, just entangles it for me to try to find later.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby angelalee511 » May 22nd, 2017, 8:43 am

Thinking you might need a service.
angelalee511

Postby nonie » May 22nd, 2017, 9:41 am

Angela, I was just about to call what shop we have left, and got a tip from Karen. Tried the tip, and it is cutting perfectly for right now :bounce: :cheer: Break out the wine!! or is it to soon? :sewing:
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Karens Krafts » May 22nd, 2017, 3:04 pm

So glad that worked!!!!!
:bounce: :bounce:
Karens Krafts

Postby angelalee511 » May 23rd, 2017, 11:23 am

That's great news!!
angelalee511