NEED HELP ORGANIZING

Let's chat about everything sewing.

NEED HELP ORGANIZING

Postby nonie » May 1st, 2017, 2:26 pm

HELP ME!! When we moved here everything sewing related that did not go in 'my shed' went into this room. I want a sewing room but I want it to feel very girlie, I want lace at the window :D
How do I get there from here? :roll: How is your space organized? do you like it? Is this a place you like to spend your time?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: NEED HELP ORGANIZING

Postby NancyF » May 1st, 2017, 3:18 pm

Nonie, the thing that helped me to get organized was to go to the dollar store and to Target and I bought loads of different size containers Lots and Lots of the shoe box sized containers and then some that are bigger than that - but not big bin size. It helped me to put buttons in one and eyelet in another and snaps in another. The bigger bins got spools of ribbon, etc. Once I did that it was easier for everything to be in its place even if the containers found their way out of the closet and were all over the room.

There is just never enough closet space.

Nancy F.
NancyF

Postby KathyD » May 1st, 2017, 4:41 pm

That's a big questions without knowing any details. LOL! I would suggest surfing on Pinterest for sewing room organization, or Sewing room plans, etc. You'll get lots of ideas. It depends on if you're looking for furniture or what. I did see some adorable pictures for the wall - vintage children's patterns that were framed. You could just save a picture of the pattern and print that and frame it - was so cute!

Bunny did lots of pretty things in her sewing room - maybe go back and look at those pictures. Didn't she put some on her blog? I know she recovered her chair and it was beautiful!!!

Lots of ideas when you can start fresh. :) I would like to repaint my room - the paint is 20 years old and definitely in need of a new coat of paint, but the thought of moving all the furniture - well, it's not happening! Maybe if John was gone for a week or more....

Kathy
KathyD

Postby jsm » May 1st, 2017, 5:10 pm

I had high shelves installed in my sewing room, when we built this house. I grouped family photos and other items that are very special to me. They are out of the way, but I can always see them. I have a couple of vintage baby dresses hanging on one wall, which often inspire me, and a few special projects from past classes. There is a bulletin board now completely covered (probably a little too much!), with special cards, notes and other things. There are a few other things in my room that just make me happy. I think I have shared photos on here before. There may be some on my old blog. I still enjoy spending time there, because of so many special family items and memories there.

I do much as Nancy suggested with different size boxes and bins. I recently bought an organizer for the back of my closet door. Now, to find time to install and use it!! I am slowly trying to downsize and get rid of things I no longer use, or no longer bring me joy. I am trying to narrow the type of sewing and other crafts I do. It's hard to give up some of it. But, I have managed to clean out a couple of drawers and bins, and it is so freeing!

I am not one who can organize a room in a day. It takes me a long time, to make sure it is organized in a way I can use and enjoy it. Don't put any pressure on yourself to get it all done at once. Do a little each day or week. Make sure to still be able to sit down and sew when you want, go sit on the porch, or go for a walk. It will all still be there when you get back! :)

Jan M.
jsm

Postby niener » May 1st, 2017, 7:32 pm

I want to follow this discussion. I sew in a bedroom. I have a corner of that room where my sewing tables are set up. My closet has about 8-10 running feet of shelving that is divided into cubes and that is where my fabric and laces are stored. My laces are in the plastic shoe bins, but I sort of wish I could think of something more friendly to the laces than plastic. At least they keep the laces dust free. I also have one of those ugly Sterlite plastic stacks of drawers in a corner in the room. There are two skinny (shallow) drawers at the top, then four deep drawers under those. In the first shallow drawer I have my piping and elastic wrapped in those cardboard rick-rack type cards. They are in a double row in that drawer. Right now I need to tidy it up, because things have gotten messy in there and I have a hard time closing it. The second shallow drawer holds my rick rack and purchased bias tape cards, with the rick-rack on the left side and the bias on the right. The drawers are just wide enough to fit them horizontally standing up. The first of the deep drawers holds all of my sewing notions: snap setter and snaps, steam-a-seam or heat-n-bond tapes, my button hole cutter, pressing sticks, fabric glue, bias tape makers, extras of the little stuff we use all the time. The second deep drawer is my button drawer and where I keep my fast-turn tools and my German Interfacing. The third deep drawer is where my Janome hoops are. And the last deep drawer keeps my extra scissors, embroidery thread duplicates, and various odds and ends.

My biggest dilemma is pattern organization. I want to keep my patterns in their original envelopes. I don't like the idea of moving them to the manila envelopes with the original pattern envelope in a sheet protector. I guess that's just a weird quirk of mine. I have some darling IKEA covered bins that are overflowing, about 8 Hancock pattern boxes filled to the brim, and some bins I found at Dollar tree filled to overflowing. I keep rearranging them, but still haven't found a system I like.

I have my threads on those June Tailor thread stands hanging on the wall in the corner above my tables. My embroidery threads are to the side of the big embroidery machine, and actually over my sewing machine, and my sewing threads are on the wall to the right of my sewing machine, which makes them very reachable to me while I'm sitting at the machine. I work from my right. My table is an L shape with the short leg on the left holding my sewing machine. As the table turns the corner to make the long leg, I have my serger set up. That way I can just turn my chair and finish a seam or roll a hem. To the right of my serger is my awesome light table I bought from Vaune Pierce - actually Santa Claus brought it to me Christmas before last. It is so nice for tracing either pattern pieces or embroidery designs for hand embroidery. Then at the far end of the long leg is my desktop computer monitor and keyboard. Then to the side of the table is a two-drawer file cabinet where I keep printouts of PDF patterns, class notes, etc. So I have quite a LOT crammed into that one corner of the bedroom that was my daughter's. There is a bathroom just past the file cabinet and the closet is at the back of that bathroom. I have some bookshelves behind the closet door for my sewing magazines and books and I have a shoe organizer hanging on the back of the closet door to hold my various stabilizers.

Sometimes it all seems better organized than others, but how I would LOVE to have somebody come help me make sense of it all!! I don't have any sewing related décor at all. It's just a functional sewing space...or I try for it to be functional. The primary focus of the room is that of a bedroom.
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby angelalee511 » May 2nd, 2017, 6:55 am

When I designed my original sewing/cutting table, I designed it with drawers to hold my patterns, my ribbon, my fabric and rulers. I also have one drawer for in progress items and finished items. I thought that was my biggest problem was having unfinished things lying around. I was wrong. It does help, don't get me wrong. But I found the more space I had, the more crap I bought to fill it. My fabric drawers are filled to the brim. I purged a lot when I moved upstairs. I still have UFO's in my drawer taking up valuable space. My pattern drawers are also full. I like Jerry like keeping them in the original envelope with all the sizes I've traced off. That makes the envelopes really fat. :rotflo:

I think you need to use the room for a bit to see how you operate. I'm like Jan. It takes a while to organize. If you do it slowly and in spurts, it's more attainable and less frustrating. That's where I am. I can see my room coming together better since I tackle one thing at a time. I want some pretty things in my space like Jan has. But I also want the room finished RIGHT NOW! :rotflo: I'm not very patient. LOL

I have one board on Pinterest specifically for sewing room organization. I agree with Kathy about looking around there. But choose one thing that's THE most important right now and do that first. Bunny taught me to make lists. Make a list of everything you want to organize and check them off as you get them completed. You also have to be aware that what works for someone else may not work for you. Example - you've seen the rolls of ribbon on dowel rods. They look fabulous in the pictures. There are a number of problems with that system that I found out the hard way. 1. Not all ribbon rolls have the same size opening for the dowel. 2. If you have a ribbon roll in the middle that you use up, all of those ribbon rolls have to come off to change that ONE. 3. Not all rolls are the same size. What worked for me was a little shelf I designed on my original unit. I bought a tension rod and put it on the shelf, and my ribbon rolls are behind the rod. That doesn't solve the problem of the larger rolls, but I don't have many of them. I also stapled a tape measure to the front of the shelf, so I could pull off what I need and measure it right there and cut it. I keep scissors close by. You could use the same system with a small bookshelf. I feed the ribbon below the rod when I pull it off the roll. A spice rack would work too.

I have one more large piece of furniture that I'm waiting for and I think I can put some baskets there. My big thing right now is fabric scraps. I have bags and bags of them and it drives me nuts! But I'm waiting patiently for my big piece because then I'll have 8 different baskets that will hold the 8 primary colors of fabric. If it doesn't work on that piece, then I will build a cubby unit.

So choose one thing that drives you nuts and start there. Then make a list of the other things. One thing at a time. Always clear off your work space when you are finished for the day. It helps me walk in the next day to see it clean and keeps me motivated. That doesn't always work, but I try. ;)

Wall space is also key in small rooms. Make use of wall and ceiling space and door space too.
angelalee511

Postby peacechick » May 2nd, 2017, 9:56 am

My sewing room is always a work in progress. My husband and I like to estate/yard sale on the weekends, so I find a lot of things there. My storage methods tend to change either a little or a lot depending on the space they are occupying at the moment. Right now, I have the second bedroom. My fabric is hanging in the closet in the bedroom and the smaller closet in the hallway between the bedroom and the second bathroom. I really like not having to dig through bins to find what I want; I can see it without having to remember which bin it's in. I store most of my scissors in two knife blocks (one large and one small) near my sewing machine. The excess are hanging on wooden mug racks on my wall. I recently bought some containers at Walmart that are roughly what Nancy mentioned but somewhat sturdier than the ones I saw at the dollar stores. I also scrapbook and have rubber stamps and other scrapbook paraphernalia that I store in wooden spice racks and printer-type trays on the wall. I have a couple of thread racks also on the wall but could definitely use another. I found two at estate sales but don't see them at those types of sales often. I may have to get a new one with a JoAnn coupon. I have most of my rulers on Command Hooks on the side of my cabinets and one closet door (it slides, so I can only attach them to the outside door). My pressing hams, etc are stored in a magazine rack (one that is basically a box with four sides) that fits in the knee-hole of my sewing table while still allowing me plenty of room to sew. It was a "Eureka!" moment when I saw it at a yard sale. It even has a drawer that fits my pressing cloths. I have room behind my door to fit a couple of rolling carts, my ironing board, the folding table I use for cutting out patterns and the extra folding chairs we need when company comes. I saw an idea on Pinterest that I love; this lady put her antique buttons in a gumball machine. Now I'm keeping my eyes out for one. I have my thread/embroidery ribbons in lidded baskets and pretty wooden boxes on a handcrafted cherry shelf that I'll probably never part with because I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. I also have one tall bookshelf that houses my sewing/crafting books and an industrial shelf with bins that hold the stuff that is not easily stored otherwise. My sewing table is modular kitchen cabinets--two make up the main sewing table with a smaller one to hold my embroidery machine right now. I found a gorgeous piece of hardwood (leftover from a special order someone didn't pick up) that we cut to size for the table top (96" long). The grain was too pretty to cover up with paint, so I stenciled around the perimeter with sewing-themed designs and varnished it. It's removable, so not much hassle when we move.
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Postby ShirleyC » May 4th, 2017, 1:08 pm

A few years ago I chose to put the things I used the most into smaller containers that I could easily lift and shift as needed. Then last year, I added the chalk board vinyl labels. Those have saved me lots of time searching. I did try to buy some cuter bins and things, but it's still not where I'd like it to be as far as my ideas.

If you remember, one summer I put all of my patterns in large binders in the plastic protectors. I labeled the outside with sizes and pattern types. For me, this makes it so much easier to grab a binder, lay it on the table and flip through it. I'm sure Jerry has lots more patterns than me. I got rid of a lot that I didn't or wouldn't use. I still have some I'm thinking about destashing.

I added some pics. This is the only place that they load sideways or upside down. I also found some jars to put some colorful things in or mementos.
I got the colorful bins at Hobby Lobby online. Sometimes they have stuff you don't easily find in the store, and they were on clearance. I've also found a few neat things at the dollar stores.

I wish I had more wall space. It does get cramped in here at times. I do need to do another clean out. :roll:
Attachments
IMG_1595.JPG
IMG_1595.JPG (143.12 KiB) Viewed 451 times
IMG_1816.JPG
IMG_1816.JPG (138.63 KiB) Viewed 451 times
IMG_2024.JPG
IMG_2024.JPG (135.05 KiB) Viewed 451 times
ShirleyC

Postby Karens Krafts » May 4th, 2017, 3:02 pm

A lot of my buttons are in a clear flower vase. Pretty on a shelf. Only the whites and pastels in it.
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby NancyF » May 4th, 2017, 4:16 pm

Shirley that looks like my set up but I love your labels. I can see through the bins so I don't have most of them labeled but those would be great.

Nancy F.
NancyF

Postby peacechick » May 5th, 2017, 11:11 am

Is it sad that even though most of my containers are see-through and I store like items together, I could still use those chalkboard labels??
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Postby ShirleyC » May 5th, 2017, 11:26 am

The labels help tremendously! I try to put everything on a label that's in the box - pretty much - to keep me from having to open them all!

Emily printed me some, but Walmart also carries packages of labels, and they have the chalk markers. I found I liked the skinner marker the best.
ShirleyC

Postby nonie » May 5th, 2017, 2:54 pm

I have picked up so many ideas. I love it.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby nonie » May 6th, 2017, 9:40 am

I just had to have a corner that is just cute(to me) I know I need to fuss a bit more with it.

shelf ribbon buttons.jpg
shelf ribbon buttons.jpg (119.48 KiB) Viewed 393 times

The bulletin board is now hung and also needs to be organized, but this is the way it is right now.

bull board.jpg
bull board.jpg (101.14 KiB) Viewed 393 times

As you can see there is work to be done.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby angelalee511 » May 8th, 2017, 7:32 am

A peg board would fit nicely right under that bulletin board! Good work thus far.
angelalee511

Next

Return to On Topic Talk