NEED HELP ORGANIZING

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Re: NEED HELP ORGANIZING

Postby peacechick » May 8th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Hey, it's a nice start, Nonie. I love the pink and the lace (vintage?) shelf liner. Such pretty, feminine touches. I have a husband and four boys, so I appreciate anything feminine!!
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Postby Bunbun5 » May 26th, 2017, 4:57 am

I guess it all starts with right where you sew as there is nothing more frustrating than not being able to put your hand on a notion instantly. So I have a drawer to the right of my machine that has those always needed notions basics, scissors, nippers, wonder tape, button chisels, etc. To the left I have a drawer with basic and specialty threads. The specialty threads, like water soluble, etc are in low profile small containers to fit in the drawer. The basic threads, black, white, beige, gray and navy are in two silverware organizer trays in the left drawer, different weights together because the bottom line is I am looking for a color. I can reach to my left while at the machine and there they are. All other non basic thread spools, and there are TONS, are in clear thread organizers by color inside a cabinet. I know people love those thread racks but light and dust are not friends to your threads and they really should be in the dark. My thread organizer boxes are stacked inside a cabinet to the right of the machine, all sorted by colors.

At the cutting table I am able to slip a 36 inch tall organizer on wheels. This is for more drafting and marking business. I can reach in the top drawer and have my markers right there to mark patterns. The deep drawer in the organizer holds my ironing tools and cleaners.

I guess my philosophy is keep things close to where you will do that type of work to promote efficiency and lack of frustration.

On my cutting table and on a shelf above I keep my rotary cutters in a fancy coffee cup. I also have a cup filled with binder clips which I am using a lot more of lately, particularly in bag making. I find them valuable. Also on the back of the cutting table are my glass weights. Love those things and they work like a charm. Are they pattern weights? no. They were just things like candle bases or window ornaments that are heavy, flat and glass. They lay so smoothly on the pattern and are HEAVY. I love that.

I love the idea of a decorated, pretty sewing space. It's my space and that's my design background rearing it's head. But first it really has to be functional. I will strip it down to it's minimum for house showings, none yet, but I want it to look big and as a room that can be a study, bedroom, etc. I am blessed to have a big closet that walks through on both sides to the my half of the back basement. We each have a half :shock: and that works well. In there are rubbermaid shelves with all my fabrics and books. I have to see things so no fabric in totes other than nicely folded in uncovered totes so the curved edge is on top and they are all stacked by color. I can see them all in a heartbeat. I have tried every fabric organizing gimick known from hangers to folded on cardboards, etc. This lets me see everything at any given moment and they place nicely on the shelves. Big crazy stuff like foam, fur, etc is stacked on top of the RM shelves. Velvets and silks that I do not want to fold are hanging on clip hangers from a bar that extends between and from one RM shelf top to another. I love that I can see all my fancies hanging nicely and ready to sew. All fabrics are pretreatede before being put in this room or anywhere else. They are treated as soon as I get them home, so ready to sew at any given time.

These are just a few ideas from my room and there are pics on my blog. Just do a search for sewing room or organizng for lots more ideas. Bottom line, do what works for you, Nonie, and go for the pretty! It's your space and your blank slate. Have fun!
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Postby peacechick » May 26th, 2017, 9:50 am

Bunny, I love your glass weights idea. I sewed a whole bunch of pattern weights of different sizes and shapes, but the glass items are a great idea. You can find them cheaply at many places, too. I'm glad that you let your DH have half of your basement; it's nice to share :wink:
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Previous

Return to On Topic Talk