Your best save

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Your best save

Postby nonie » October 18th, 2016, 12:19 pm

We have shared our favorites and discussed our oops, now I would like to know what was your best 'save'! would love if you have a picture to share. Right before it hit the garbage you had a wonderful idea to save it!!
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: Your best save

Postby Bunbun5 » October 18th, 2016, 11:24 pm

There is a picture somewhere deep in the bowels of my blog. One of my go to saves, and I use it over and over, is to add a godet to something that fits too snug. I made a white eyelet shirt with a pattern I use often but for some reason this one came out snug. I think I may have figured the seam allowances wrong or something like that. Anywho, I put a godet of more white eyelet in the back starting between the shoulder blades and and opening to about fifteen inches wide at the hemline. I made the hemline circular. It added a nice design feature and I really liked the blouse much better with the godet in the back. Love me some godets! :sewing:
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Postby peacechick » October 19th, 2016, 9:41 am

Like Bunny, I've been known to add a godet to save a garment that turns out to be too snug. My daughter is famous for bringing me a project at the 11th hour. She wanted to be Jessica Rabbit one Halloween (as an adult, mind you) and couldn't find any long dress gloves for the costume. I had one of the Vogue glove patterns already (how did I know that I'd actually need it someday??) and we bought some purple fabric. No time for a "muslin", however. When finished, the gloves fit her hands perfectly, but were too tight for the arm. I made a gusset to fit. Not a gusset story, but another time she brought me a bridesmaid dress that was too big in the bust area--she usually has the opposite problem, but she had been trying to lose weight and actually bought the dress 2 sizes larger than her pre-weight-loss size. I simply had to ask her in what universe did she expect to lose weight in one area and have it migrate to another desired location (I wish that could happen). In three hours I didn't have time to do the adjustment the "proper" way, so I made an inverted pleat under each armhole and it lessened the bust area enough to eliminate the gaping bustline and make the dress fit properly.
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Postby NancyF » October 19th, 2016, 11:56 am

Reading Peacechicks tuck story brings me to sewing theater costumes. You can't and don't want to do alterations the right way. Inverted tucks were always my lifeline. Under the arms, always at the top of the shoulder which gave a nice treatment to the top of the sleeve, There are so many times that allowed me to use a costume that was too big and then years later use it again because I usually do the tucks either by hand or with big stitches so they are easy to remove. Next time you go to a theater production see if you can spot some tucks that now look like design elements.

Nancy F.
NancyF

Postby KarenVA » October 20th, 2016, 9:16 am

Gosh--I have so many oops moments, how to pick just one save??!! But, I think it has to be the Frozen AG dress I made for our DGD's doll. You can see pics and read the whole sordid story in the Hello Dolly posts--under " I'm not worthy!!" The sheer sleeves looked great, but would not fit over the doll's hands!! So, I made a sleeveless gown and satin gloves (that look like oven mitts!!! LOL) instead. Then, I learned that Elsa wore gloves to keep her power in check!! Saved!!
KarenVA
"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa
KarenVA

Postby peacechick » October 20th, 2016, 11:16 am

I never thought of that with theater costumes, Nancy. I guess they could be potentially used by many actors of many shapes and sizes, so you'd want any adjustments to be reversible so you can adjust for the next guy/gal.
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Return to On Topic Talk