what holds you back from--

Let's chat about everything sewing.

what holds you back from--

Postby nonie » September 10th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Do you often have a hard time getting motivated to start a new project? Or to start any project? I do know part of my problem is organization, I have not reached a point of being organized yet in the sewing room (or any room). I also know a lot of things will fall in place once I start sewing on a regular bases, but something is holding me back. Fear? am I afraid of making a mistake? it can't be for lack of fabric, patterns or notions of any kind.
Have you ever been in such a spot? how did you work your way out of it? I have always been so eager to start and finish projects, this is new to me.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: what holds you back from--

Postby peacechick » September 10th, 2016, 4:40 pm

For years, I had an undiagnosed medical issues (who knows how many years, exactly?) and barely mustered the energy to get out of bed and perform the necessities, much less sew or craft. Now that I've treated the illness and seem to have a good level of meds, I've actually gotten a lot accomplished (just finished a queen/king sized quilt top--yay!!). I'm pretty organized and can't work otherwise (yeah, yeah, I know--I seem to be the exception to the rule), so that's not my problem. Health issues aside, I can also be sidelined if I'm stressed out, but sewing often helps with that, so sometimes I just push myself by doing a small little project. Recently, that was an apron and matching potholders for my daughter who lives in Arizona. It was her favorite apron pattern, so I can practically make it blindfolded now, so quick and easy. I even practiced my free motion quilting skills on the potholders--great because they're a small project. Sometimes just getting out some sewing magazines and looking at the eye candy is enough to start the creative juices flowing. I try not to be too hard on myself. Maybe I just feel like getting lost in a good book, and that's okay, too. As far as organizing goes, it's kind of like the how to eat an elephant joke--one bite at a time. When I have a problem room, it helps to start small (maybe as small as one drawer or shelf at a time), and you'll be amazed at how fast it can go. I've decided that I want to change some of my storage/organizing options, and it's okay to do that because your needs can change over time. I realized I do not like pegboard, which seems to be a universally accepted sewing room staple, so you can imagine I've had to be a bit creative to replace it!!
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Postby niener » September 10th, 2016, 8:03 pm

I only sew when I have large blocks of time to dedicate to sitting at the machine. I would never get anything made if I only sewed in 15 or 30 minute intervals. It takes me that long to find what I'm looking for!! :rotflo:
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby jsm » September 11th, 2016, 6:21 am

Except for a few times, when dealing with health or stressful situations, I don't usually have a problem starting a sewing, knitting or needlepoint project. My problem is finishing them!!! I don't like the way it is turning out, cannot determine a better or best way to do something, decide I don't have the perfect trim or button, or realize I really need to start something else because a special event, holiday or baby's arrival is approaching! See? I can find a reason to start something -- just not finish it!!

Now, starting to clean house or purge closets and drawers is something I can delay forever!

Jan M.
jsm

Postby nonie » September 12th, 2016, 11:43 am

Funny what we learn about ourselves, what holds me back and is holding me back is organization. I never thought of myself as being super organized, as long as there was a place for everything and everything was in it's place. With boxes sitting about, I am in a frozen state of undecided :rotflo: . I have a box of to be filed sitting next to the filing cabinet :shock: I am thinking it might take a full day to get all those papers dealt with and that box is sitting in the sewing room. I also like a certain touch of 'pretties' maybe they have no function except to make me smile, and those are missing. so this week will be about getting boxes empty and organizing the sewing room.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby peacechick » September 12th, 2016, 2:45 pm

Jan, I recently did a huge purge, and it's amazing how much "lighter" I feel! I moved my patterns to a smaller vintage filing cabinet and wasn't sure all of them would fit, so I ruthlessly (though, probably not ruthlessly enough) rid myself of patterns I was not realistically ever going to use or use again. I probably didn't "need" to because I think they all would have fit, anyway since, even though the vintage cabinet has one fewer drawer, the drawers are much deeper. I have room to grow, but I think I really want to use more self-discipline where buying patterns is concerned. I have the basic styles to adapt to most anything I like and the skills to do that, so I only need to buy a pattern if it's something I don't think I can figure out how to duplicate. I also decided I just don't like pegboard for my sewing room. It's great for a garage where you might not care if it's "pretty," but I like my room to be pleasant, and I was looking at the pegboard (even painted pretty colors) and thinking, "yuck." I needed to re-think how I store the stuff that was on the pegboard.
peacechick

Postby ShirleyC » September 13th, 2016, 10:16 am

It seems like I'm constantly organizing, but I can never get it all just perfect. Then if I'm working on a project, it's all a mess again.
I have a really hard time getting started on something when it's for me or something that isn't requested by other people. If someone asks me to make burps, that's not a problem other than deciding on what to do.
I keep a list of things I want to do, but it seems most of my things get put to the back burner. Now Christmas is coming, and I usually like to do something for the kids so that will take a while if I do what I'm thinking. Shelby is SO easy! It's the boys that baffle me.
ShirleyC

Postby angelalee511 » September 13th, 2016, 11:18 am

ADD!!! Oh my gosh, how many projects I get going and take forever to finish. :rotflo:
angelalee511

Postby peacechick » September 14th, 2016, 9:53 am

Shirley, I hear you. I never seem to be finished with the organizing. I make a mess while I'm working, but it doesn't take long to clean up if I'm organized. I think it's pretty normal to "spread out" while we're working. I keep an ongoing list, but it always seems that, due to one thing or another, the list never seems to get completed even though I'm usually very productive and get a lot done. I just make sure I finish the high-priority items and the rest can be continued...
peacechick

Postby Bunbun5 » October 11th, 2016, 5:45 pm

Nonie, I really wish I could help you organize your space. I cannot think of anything creative is my space is distracting me.

If I were you I would get those boxes out of your sewing room, OUT. Now clean the room, get some new organizers or rolling totes, whatever might help. Set up the room. Now bring the boxes in one at a time. Don't get the second box until the first one is completely put away. Reward yourself with something really nice when they are all done. But don't keep them in that room to demoralize you. Like Jerry's elephant, tackle it one bite at a time, or better, one box at a time. How's that sound?

When you know you can put your hands on every thing you need, your sewjo mojo will come back.
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Return to On Topic Talk