Kathy-boy's bonnet pattern

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Kathy-boy's bonnet pattern

Postby nonie » August 18th, 2016, 8:37 pm

You made such adorable outfits. I have been reading and re=reading the instructions for the boy's bonnet in our SAGA issue. Are there any hints or tips to making it? I wanted to make at least one to have for display at the quilt show. I think it is adorable.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: Kathy-boy's bonnet pattern

Postby KathyD » August 19th, 2016, 3:04 am

Just go for it! LOL! I don't really read much of the instructions, rather look at the pictures. Personally, I did find that the lining was a little bit too small for the outer bonnet. I know that it is cut smaller so that it fits inside better and without ripples. I had better luck with the second bonnet - cutting the lining with the bonnet pieces and taking a generous seam when I stitched.

The pieces fit together very well. Definitely interface the bonnet pieces! I didn't do the fancy hand stitching. I'm sure you'll do fine. :)

Kathy
KathyD

Postby nonie » August 19th, 2016, 9:34 am

Thank you Kathy, will an iron on interfacing be ok to use? I also noticed you used piping, did you change the seam allowance at all?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby KathyD » August 20th, 2016, 6:35 am

Yes, I used iron on interfacing. :D I didn't want to do all that hand stitching, so I opted for piping. Just make sure that the piping seam allowance is the same as the bonnet seam allowance. Easy peasy!

Kathy
KathyD

Return to On Topic Talk