Vintage patterns

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Vintage patterns

Postby peacechick » July 6th, 2016, 9:58 am

Has anyone who uses vintage patterns noticed that the quality of the pattern tissue has definitely gone down in recent years? I just purchased several vintage patterns for some 40+ year old dolls and noticed how much heavier (and still usable) the cut patterns are when I cut and use a current tissue paper pattern once and it's toast. I'll still trace out the pattern pieces to preserve the original (they're doll clothes, so the pieces are small, anyway, but they are likely more fragile than they appear), and I always have to trace new patterns if I hope to use them more than once (or twice if I'm really having a lucky day). Of course, I try not to spend more than a couple of dollars for a pattern, so I guess I shouldn't complain. However, that may change now that Joann's has one less major competitor with Hancock's out of the game. Just wondered if anyone else has noticed.
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Re: Vintage patterns

Postby angelalee511 » July 6th, 2016, 11:05 am

Yes, I have. I, like you, trace my patterns rather than cut them. My tracing paper is heavier and more durable.
angelalee511

Postby peacechick » July 6th, 2016, 11:17 am

Relieved it's not just me... :)
peacechick

Postby gmasuz1215 » July 7th, 2016, 7:49 am

I iron on a lightweight fusible interfacing to my tissue patterns for strength. Dry iron. Iron the pattern flat and then iron on the fusible. I do this on all my CC patterns and they last.
gmasuz1215

Postby KathyD » July 7th, 2016, 9:45 am

I think it depends on how "vintage" the patterns are. Patterns that I have from the 60's - 80's seem to have heavier paper, but the patterns from the 30's - 50's are on similar, lightweight tissue paper like most of the current patterns. I much prefer the heavier, but I'm sure that it is a cost reduction factor, like everything else. :roll:

Kathy
KathyD

Postby peacechick » July 7th, 2016, 9:55 am

These are from the late 60s-early 70s. I've done the interfacing thing for one-size patterns. It doesn't work for multi-sized patterns where I want to preserve all sizes, however. For those tracing works. For modern patterns that I can get for $1 each, I might just purchase one copy for each size I need to save myself the drudgery of tracing, but for a vintage pattern that might be impossible to find again and may be fragile, tracing might be the only option. Thankfully, these are doll clothing patterns, so the pieces are small to begin with, and even though the tissue APPEARS to have held up well, I may trace them just to be on the safe side since that paper is over 40 years old.
peacechick

Postby nonie » July 7th, 2016, 10:20 am

I sure have noticed! Tracing is not my favorite thing to do, and so for the old patterns I still love I have iron on interfacing to help keep them longer.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Return to On Topic Talk