Uses for rabbit furs and a machine question

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Uses for rabbit furs and a machine question

Postby AshG » July 5th, 2016, 2:33 pm

If you could get your hands on a fair amount of rabbit fur (guaranteed treated humanely and that would have been killed anyway since they are meat rabbits) what would you do with it? I'm going to have access to a fair amount in the next couple of months and I don't really have any qualms about using fur that would otherwise be a "waste" product and thrown out. I have no issues with tanning it, but I can't think of anything, other than mittens, to make out of it. Any ideas? Probably going to get some pretty colors and patterns as well.

Also, my mom got a Montgomery Ward sewing machine, way older model that appears to work. Are these fairly decent machines? She gave it to me but I forgot it at her house, and just curious if it's something worth investing a trip to the sewing machine store to clean out well and use, or just to keep as a back up...I'm currently using a Brother and I've been having some issues with it lately. Thanks!
AshG

Re: Uses for rabbit furs and a machine question

Postby bellesmom » July 5th, 2016, 5:36 pm

Can't answer the fur question, but I have my mother's 1958 sears machine. Had it cleaned and oiled and it still sews a beautiful seam and it makes a beautiful button hole (I have the attachment). Only problem--no zig zag, only back and forth. I'd get the MW cleaned and oiled and give it a try.
bellesmom

Postby minnie63 » July 5th, 2016, 6:08 pm

That older machine would work on the fur better than the brother. I M O
:sewing:
Life is good.
minnie63

Postby AshG » July 6th, 2016, 3:01 pm

You're probably right there, the poor brother balks at doing denim. Actually that's where I started having problems, doing name tapes on Army uniforms and a denim quilt - it acted like the tension was wrong and was wadding really bad, I cleaned it out a bunch and oiled it and it seems to be ok, though still not enjoying that kind of work.

Rabbit fur is really fine, and their skins are not tough at all, nothing like actual leather, so it's a lighter material. Think more like suede maybe? I'm not interested in de-furring the hides though. I guess everyones getting bunny mittens!

I learned on a Singer treadle machine, so I'm ok with not having a zig-zag, though it's nice for finishing edges. :(
AshG

Postby niener » July 7th, 2016, 6:11 am

Ash, I remember a bomber style jacket my daughter had in middle school that was a patchwork of rabbit fur/skin. She love that jacket for it's softness and unique look. I don't know anything about tanning hides so that you can safeguard the fur, but I'm sure you can Google that procedure. Good luck with this!
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby KathyD » July 7th, 2016, 6:21 am

Depending on the climate where you live, I'd consider making a fur bolero or jacket with the fur. :) I have my grandmother's fur coat - it's not rabbit but something else. I had rabbit fur coats as a child. Loved them! They were very warm (we lived in Canada).

Depending on the model of your Brother (the less expensive ones from chain/box stores known to have issues), the older machine would probably be a great investment for denim and fur.

Kathy
KathyD

Postby AshG » July 9th, 2016, 11:51 am

Thanks, I remember the 80's fur jackets (they shed, poor tanning process makes hair fall out), and my grandmother still has my g-grandmothers mink coat from the 20s. I grew up in Arizona and now live in west TX so have never had a need for anything that heavy. Tanning is easy, I've done larger animals before so bunny fur should go relatively easy and won't smell. A lot less scraping goes into it because they are thinner skinned and the meat doesn't stick like it does with large animals. That's what makes them smell is not getting all the meat off and it sits and decomposes. Rabbit fur dyes really easily too and I'm expecting a fair amount of white, so that's an option too.

It's an older brother, probably 6 years old now, and yes a store model with 25 something stitches I paid less than $200 for it. This is the only issue I've ever had with it is the tangling on the bottom but it's definitely not a work-horse for heavy material. I didn't know MW made sewing machines, so I wasn't sure if it was something quality worth having repaired if it needs it or not. I think the only MW product I've ever seen is my parents console TV they used when I was little.
AshG

Postby nonie » July 9th, 2016, 1:03 pm

I saw the cutest fur hat and thought about you. Don't know if you like hats but it was so pretty.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby AshG » July 11th, 2016, 10:22 am

Oh Nonie, where'd you see it? I'm not big on hats but my girls like them, so maybe it's something I can replicate.
AshG

Postby nonie » July 11th, 2016, 12:50 pm

I will try to refined it.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Bunbun5 » July 13th, 2016, 5:17 pm

I would make and have made fur hats. If you do a search on the Threads magazine site, they have a great hat pattern in one of the issues with all the directions. That's what I've used. I think some of the ladies have seen a pic of me in it on my blog. Not sure if I could find it now though.

That old machine will handle the fur far better than your new one. I guarantee. It is definitely worth have cleaned and tuned up. You will need special leather needles and there are tricks to handling the seams. its all in the Threads article. Sounds like a fun project.
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Postby nonie » July 14th, 2016, 10:31 am

Thank you bunny, I wounder if that is where I spotted a fur hat! I can not find the article again.
Yes, that machine would sew so much better then a new one.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Return to On Topic Talk