Irons

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Irons

Postby minnie63 » July 4th, 2016, 6:17 pm

Do you have a good iron ? I still iron and just wonder.
Life is good.
minnie63

Re: Irons

Postby NancyF » July 4th, 2016, 6:46 pm

Minnie, I still love my Rowenta irons. One just died and I had a spare so I am using that. Supposedly you have to look for the ones that say made in Germany rather than China on the box.

But, I just bought this tiny little iron called a SteamFast. It is the cutest thing and it works like a regular iron. I am loving it for sewing. It is about 6 inches long but it makes steam and has temperature controls and a really long cord. I have been using it by my sewing machine with great results. It has been fantastic for sewing tiny garments because it gets in all the little places.

We who iron are a dying breed. The younger generations are not ironers, especially for everyday things.

Nancy F.
NancyF

Postby niener » July 5th, 2016, 5:51 am

Mary, I'm with Nancy on loving my Rowenta irons, but those German Rowentas are becoming harder to find locally. About three years ago I bought a T-Fal iron since my third Rowenta had begun "spitting" ugly stains on my white Nelona. :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: It was not at all expensive. I think I ordered it from Target.com - in fact, I know I did. That order put me among the group of Target customers whose credit cards were compromised. :roll: It has served me well, though I sometimes forget to clean it regularly and it reminds me by "spitting" that same ugly stuff. :lol:
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby minnie63 » July 5th, 2016, 10:39 am

Thank you! You are right about the irons being made in Germany are better because I did get one from Mexico and it was horrible after a few months! It was a Rowenta that I got from sewing with Nancy, didn't realize I could have sent it back. I did get the Rowenta made in Germany this time, it is heavy and has a million steam holes :) Hope it lasts longer than the other one. You are right about people who iron are a dying breed, I just haven't mastered the taking it out of the dryer in time! Thanks, again, m
Life is good.
minnie63

Postby peacechick » July 5th, 2016, 11:53 am

Thanks for the heads-up about the T-Fal brand, Jerry. I believe I've heard other good things about the brand, and I'm thinking my "Old Faithful" (a lowly Sunbeam) is about to give up the ghost. She's served me well and faithfully for many years now, but she has recently begun to leak (thankfully, clear, clean water). I really need to shop for a new one. I learned the lesson when my kids were little that we are a family that tends to drop/knock over irons with sometimes disastrous results. We've ruined many irons that way, among them a very expensive Rowenta and a high-end one from Penney's (I think). Between the kids, the hubby, the cats and me we are rough on irons, so I'd rather buy the best quality cheap iron and ruin one of those, since the chances are the iron's going to bite it from a long and painful drop from ironing board height :oops:
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Postby nonie » July 5th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Good discussion, I will be looking for an iron soon and now i know the one I want.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby grammynan » July 5th, 2016, 4:20 pm

Very true about the Rowenta's!! You just can't buy the ones from Mexico. You must check to make sure they're made in Germany.

Nancy
grammynan

Postby bellesmom » July 5th, 2016, 5:33 pm

Rowentas from Germany. I made a mistake of getting a Rowenta that was "made in Mexico" and it didn't last. I've never seen a Rowenta made in China.
bellesmom

Postby Rosieq » July 5th, 2016, 7:05 pm

I have so many irons! Starting with my mother's Sunbeam from 1950. It is mostly a decor item unless it is waxing skies! I have one in my master closet with the built in ironing board. Then, the smallest is a little triangle iron made by Clover. Then several small irons in my retreat chests. Two good ones inysewing room. One for steam and one I use a spray with. And, another closer to the machine when piecing. I'm ready once again to get rid of that one,just to move around more and walk to the ironing board to press. Different irons, different needs????
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Return to On Topic Talk