Organizing information

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Organizing information

Postby nonie » June 28th, 2016, 2:04 pm

I would like to know how you organize your sewing information. Do you use binders? a filing cabinet? I am drowning in paper, and so much is very useful if I could find it again :?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: Organizing information

Postby peacechick » June 28th, 2016, 7:12 pm

I like to have "hard" copies, so I have my information (sewing and other crafts) organized in binders. I keep them in my bookcase with the other sewing/craft books. If you wanted to reduce paper, you could keep the same information organized in files electronically instead.
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Postby niener » June 29th, 2016, 9:30 am

I'm going to pay close attention to this thread. I so need to reorganize EVERYTHING. I've got my bed cleared off in the room where I sew, but Lord have mercy, to try to find anything is almost impossible. :shock:
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby Bunbun5 » June 29th, 2016, 6:33 pm

I have a binder with photocopies of sewing articles I've come across and felt were worth keeping. Some of Dear Betty's lessons are in there! But that is one binder. I really don't keep much else. I have all of the Threads magazines except the first few and loads of sewing books. That is pretty much all my information I keep. The rest is online, in Pinterest boards which I find really helpful in organizing, or bookmarked on this computer. I find the bookmarks get cumbersome and I have to thin them out now and then. PDF patterns or Indie paper patterns I have purchased are in clear colored LARGE plastic envelopes that close with velcro. You can get them at Staples. I find I can put the pattern picture in front and see whats inside and it will hold most pieces and instructions. Patterns I have developed on my own or are tried and true are committed to oaktag, punched with holes and drapery clips are passed through the holes. One clip holds all the pieces of the pattern. The clip then hangs on a bar that is actually a drapery rod, on the wall in my sewing closet. I love looking at all those oaktag patterns hanging. Heaven only knows why!

I really think Pinterest is a huge help. I have boards for all sorts of tutorials for sewing that are pretty well organized. There are boards for sleeves, zippers, fitting, drafting, etc. etc. etc. It is so easy to go in there and look thinks up and the visuals are awesome. You can pull me up on Pinterest with a search for Bunny, but there are a lot of Bunnies. On my blog you can click on a link to pinterest and then follow if you want.

My big issue isn't organizing information, its fabric!!!

HTHs.
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Postby peacechick » July 2nd, 2016, 6:29 pm

I use a similar method to organize my patterns, downloaded or magazine pullouts, except that I use 9" x 12" paper clasp envelopes. I even use the large envelopes for the Big 4 patterns because I hate trying to fit the tissue paper patterns back into those small pattern envelopes (don't get me started on that one; even just thinking about it immediately raises my blood pressure!!). I love Pinterest, too, but I'm someone who doesn't just dream of trying Pinterest projects; I actually do try them. I prefer working with actual good, old-fashioned paper instructions in front of me, so I'm highly likely to print them out. If the project or recipe works and I'm likely to repeat it, I'll file and keep it. I do go through my paper files periodically and weed out anything I am no longer interested in keeping. I don't keep whole magazines anymore since they just take up valuable real estate. Even among the heirloom sewing magazines I love, I am only interested in keeping a small percentage of the material/patterns presented. I'm actually likely to photocopy the material I want to keep (better quality paper, usually) and donate the intact magazines (might be a no-no even though I initially paid for the magazines), so don't bash me for destroying them.
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Postby nonie » August 4th, 2016, 12:18 pm

I print, photocopy, save letters.

organize1.jpg
organize1.jpg (111.58 KiB) Viewed 364 times
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Return to On Topic Talk