What type of sewing chair do you have?

Let's chat about everything sewing.

What type of sewing chair do you have?

Postby grammylou » April 12th, 2016, 10:20 am

I am shopping for a new, comfy sewing chair. Any recommendations? Is the Koala So Comfort worth the money? Thank you for any suggestions!
Laurie
grammylou

Re: What type of sewing chair do you have?

Postby niener » April 12th, 2016, 10:33 am

Laurie, I have an ergonomic office chair without arms. The back and seat can be adjusted to fit my upper body and lower body height. It swivels and rolls and it's covered in a leopard velour!! Lisbeth gave it to me for Christmas many years ago and I still love it. This may not be the exact chair, but mine looks just like this. http://www.bizchair.com/dh3400-245-os.html
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby nonie » April 12th, 2016, 1:53 pm

Mine looks just like Jerry's except no leopard skin. I love it. and have had it for many years.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby peacechick » April 12th, 2016, 3:03 pm

I have one like Jerry's as well. The one with arms didn't last long--the arms got annoying in the way!!
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (35), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Postby KathyD » April 12th, 2016, 3:12 pm

Yep - same as everyone else, like Jerry's!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby Rosieq » April 12th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Yes, I have the same chair with a slightly different back as the others have. However, for the ergonomics factor, I do have arms on my chair. I got used to the arms when I spent hours at the computer and desk when I was an administrative assistant. We implemented using arms at the college, and cut down on a lot of workman comp claims for back, shoulder, and neck injopuries needing a chiropractor. I love the arms...gives me a chance to rest the upper body while contemplating the world and the problem at hand in the sewing room.

The one thing you really need to watch for when shopping is that the there are five feet on the pedestal. If you get a four footed one, that increases the chance to tip over very easily. I imagine my chair is about 15 years old, I Paid $40 from a local office supply store that I did business with at work. If you know any office type people involved in purchasing office supplies, let them know you are looking for a new chair, and she may see some listed in a flyer that isn't published. Then you can go buy one.

It is good to have you stop by, I know you are busy with that extended home life, but you are so missed.

Linda
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby grammylou » April 13th, 2016, 3:24 am

Thank you for the responses. I'm going to try to look for a similar chair. :) I am looking forward to having a comfortable chair!!

Linda, thank you for missing me! I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute homeschooling Stellan for the past two years. He will be going to school in the fall and I will have much more time for sewing! :sewing:
Laurie
Laurie
grammylou

Postby angelalee511 » April 13th, 2016, 9:21 am

I have a small old fashioned wooden sewing chair - straight back. I can't do the rolling ones because I fear they would scratch my wood floor, plus my desk is on the smaller side and it would smack the edges.
angelalee511

Postby jsm » April 13th, 2016, 9:28 pm

Glad to know I am not alone with the small straight back chair, Angela! My chair was the same one my grandmother used at her sewing machine. This picture is several years old, and my sewing area is not nearly as neat these days! I painted it black, and added some MOP buttons that also once belonged to her. The sentimental value means more to me than the comfort and ease of a newer one with wheels. Probably doesn't help my back, but does make me smile. Sometimes that is more important. :)

Jan M.
Attachments
DSC00113.JPG
DSC00113.JPG (157.33 KiB) Viewed 872 times
jsm

Postby angelalee511 » April 14th, 2016, 2:51 am

That is very similar to mine Jan! I love the button touch! I try to move around a bit in my sewing space so I don't get stuck sitting too long at the machine.
angelalee511

Postby grammylou » April 14th, 2016, 11:36 am

I love your special chair, Jan. If I had one that had special meaning, I would certainly feel the same way. We recently bought an inexpensive office chair for the computer and now I can see if I do get a sewing chair on wheels, I will definitely need to get a mat to go under it. It is impossible to scoot the chair on the carpet. Since I have taken up free-motion quilting, I feel like I need an adjustable chair so I can be at the best height. Wheels are not essential. I appreciate any suggestions to help me decide. :)

Jan, I have covered bulletin board like yours above my favorite sewing machine with pictures of the people I love most. One of the things that truly make my sewing room my happy place!
Laurie
grammylou

Postby nonie » April 14th, 2016, 12:24 pm

Jan, I love that special sewing place, the fun color and all the special touches. You have given me some ideas :D
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby gardenbunnies » April 14th, 2016, 12:41 pm

Laurie, I just got a new chair for my sewing room. I had gotten one of those sew sturdy tables that fit around your sewing machine to give you more of a flat surface so that it is supposed to make you be able to sew better and faster. Well, when I got the table it made it seem too high for my arms since you have that table part in front of you. :frusty: To reach the machine and to make it more ergonomically correct I needed a higher chair. The only thing that I could find that would be adjustable enough to get me to the right height was a drafting chair. It raises higher than regular office chairs. Then of course the problem was that I couldn't reach the floor or the foot pedal, so I had to put that on a box! :rotflo: I got the chair at Staples for a $100.00.
Sylvia
gardenbunnies

Postby Rosieq » April 14th, 2016, 7:59 pm

Laurie, I have a friend that has a chair that resembles a saddle. I used it at retreat for an afternoon and it was uber great. At that time I never used the foot pedal so that was not a concern, I'm not sure if that would work with a pedal. I was having a lot of trouble with my body last spring and it just seemed to stretch out the legs and felt so good.

Sylvia, guess why I know I'm happy I'm tall....I can reach the floor and have my upper torso ergonomically correct....everything at right angles. :rotflo: :rotflo:

Linda
Linda

Rosieq

Postby Rosieq » April 14th, 2016, 8:00 pm

Laurie, I have a friend that has a chair that resembles a saddle. I used it at retreat for an afternoon and it was uber great. At that time I never used the foot pedal so that was not a concern, I'm not sure if that would work with a pedal. I was having a lot of trouble with my body last spring and it just seemed to stretch out the legs and felt so good.

Sylvia, guess why I know I'm happy I'm tall....I can reach the floor and have my upper torso ergonomically correct....everything at right angles. :rotflo: :rotflo:

Laurie, did you see my comment about the classes with Lori Kennedy on Craftsy. 1/2 price this week.

Linda
Linda

Rosieq

Return to On Topic Talk