One project done

Postby nonie » February 19th, 2016, 2:01 pm

topperfour.jpg
topperfour.jpg (135.28 KiB) Viewed 665 times

topperthree.jpg
topperthree.jpg (155.54 KiB) Viewed 665 times

topperone.jpg
topperone.jpg (116.05 KiB) Viewed 665 times

This is where I am in this project. Linda, I added red, trying to see which candle holder I like best. Zoe's picture is also framed in black, wondering if I should perk that frame up.
So, what do you think??
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Rse: One project done

Postby Rosieq » February 19th, 2016, 5:22 pm

The only thing you might do is make a very narrow red border as in a mat, but you could just use a piece of card stock with the picture frame.

The cloth makes a perfect table cover with your decor! I like!
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Re: One project done

Postby angelalee511 » February 20th, 2016, 5:31 am

I think it's fantastic! Do you have a second but smaller red candle holder? I think the picture frame is fine the way it is; the height and color are perfect. It would be too much red I think if you changed the color. I like Linda's idea of adding a small red border or red trim. If you didn't want to do that, you could add a short plant/flower with some red.
angelalee511

Postby nonie » February 20th, 2016, 9:13 am

Thank you both, Linda, I think you are right about adding a touch of red to the frame. Angela, I do need something and will search for something red and perfect for the spot. I am almost thinking a flower. Do you think something artificial would be to tacky? which of the red candle holders do you like best? I am leaning toward the first one.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Rosieq » February 20th, 2016, 9:56 am

I like the red with that bit of black. Oddly, my eye caught the plain red first, but have decided in my mines eye, it is too simplistic along with the lamp and cloth. And, that just does not make sense to me change my mind about that piece. I like that dark look with your crystal lamp.

Flowers, faux...yes. There are some very nice faux ones....or you could make a flower with petals cut from a red marbled or batik and maybe both fabrics. You can use that light weight fusible Steam to Seam, fuse a petal to each side and while the fabric is warm you can just curl the petals by rolling the edges around a finger. I used gold stitching to outline each petal before curling. These are part of a wall hanging in the master bedroom. Been there for almost 12 years.

Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby ShirleyC » February 21st, 2016, 9:52 pm

You need a Cameo machine! Then you could add those little touches anywhere. Like a little quote around the frame or just a word in red.
In the mean time, I agree with Angela. Maybe just something else small that is red or has red. Change out that little dish or tray, for something red. I love the table cover!
ShirleyC

Postby jsm » February 22nd, 2016, 6:54 am

The table topper is lovely! I like the first candle holder, since it has a touch of black and a different texture. It also has more "weight" and the size/shape seems in better proportion to the other items.

A decorating rule of thumb is to use odd numbers. A grouping of three (or 5. 7, etc) things is supposedly more pleasing, interesting and memorable to our brains. It applies in sewing, landscaping and other areas, too.

With that in mind, I would remove the small round dish, and just leave the lamp, candle holder and photograph. It does seem there is a fourth item (phone?) behind the candleholder, but that is not a decorative item. You also seem to be trying to hide it, and are doing a good job! :)

Or, I would use two more photographs, different in size from the first, making a grouping of three photographs, and a decorative vignette of 5 objects altogether. The frames could be the same, or similar, to the first one.

You can also try layering items. Use a stack of books, a plate or tray under items. Group the photographs on a small tray.

But, that is just me and you are the one living with it! Do what makes you happy. :)
Jan M.
jsm

Postby niener » February 22nd, 2016, 10:09 am

I love this, Nonie! I'm no decorator, but I tend to do the same things Jan mentioned. Maybe you could peruse a few magazines and pay specific attention to how the decorators stage the tables for those photos? I tend to learn more from looking at the pictures and then reading the captions to pick up little tips like that.
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby nonie » February 22nd, 2016, 1:35 pm

Thank you all for the fun suggestions, I am going to try them all!! I do need to come up wit something to replace the little dish, which is there so Steve will put his drink on it and not on the table. Bet I could find something cuter at Hobby Lobby.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Return to On Topic Talk