Button Up shirt Sew Along-- New Look 6232

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Re: Button Up shirt Sew Along-- New Look 6232

Postby nana judy » October 6th, 2013, 6:04 am

Angela, you are doing great! I am behind too-- but I had made this shirt. I was really tired yesterday after the 5 K and I hardly did anything the rest of the day.
Judy
nana judy

Postby angelalee511 » October 6th, 2013, 5:05 pm

Good for you for taking on the 5k Judy!!

My sleeves are the only problem I'm running into with fit. They are about 4" too long. I will take out the sleeves tomorrow and try to make the adjustment the way Nancy does. Otherwise, I'll have to cut off the the bottom and redo the placket. Everything else seems to fit pretty well. I'll only have to make small adjustments everywhere else.
angelalee511

Postby nana judy » October 6th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Kathy,thanks for sharing your thoughts on the length of the front bands.i had thought about shrinkage from the interfacing.

It really didn't matter to me that the bands were the same length as the shirt fronts. I probably would have cut the shirt hem off to match any way and done the narrow hem to shirt and bands the way I did. But after Angela's were also too short I got to thinking about it and measured the front bands and the shirt fronts. The pattern pieces are the same length. Now I understand what the problems. The pattern has you turn up the hem for the narrow hem prior to sewing on the bands. That leaves the bands longer and then you turn those right sides together and sew across the ends.

Angela, the sleeves ran long for me too but not that long. Most long sleeve patterns are long for me though.
Judy
nana judy

Postby suep » October 7th, 2013, 1:04 pm

My shirt is finished. I need to give it it's last press. I will get some pics later. Please remember, mine is not the same pattern, plus mine has short sleeves as I do not live where long sleeves are comfortable except in January. I really like the way it turned out. I still need to make the linen skirt to go with it. I got some denim to try another one.
suep

Postby angelalee511 » October 8th, 2013, 2:58 pm

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :thud: Guess what I realized when I sewed in my sleeves?? I took off the wrong placket!! :ranting: Both plackets are now on the inside of my sleeve. I have no more fabric to redo the sleeve. Can I switch the sleeves? Can they button on the inside?? :rotflo: :rotflo: I'm cursing in my head but I am laughing at myself. It could only happen to me. :roll: Crap! Is that a swear word? I'm trying to stop swearing. :rotflo: :rotflo: Days like these really test me though. :rotflo:
angelalee511

Postby nana judy » October 8th, 2013, 3:08 pm

Bless your heart, Angela,but we have all had times like that. I'll tell you what I'd do -- and mind you I am no perfectionist-- I'd move forward and finish this shirt except for the cuffs and sleeve plackets. I would cut the sleeves off just above the sleeve plackets and roll those babies up.you can add a tab with a button hole and a button to the sleeve. This is the first time you have used this pattern and hopefully you will get a wearable muslin from it. That is what I usually expect from the first use of a patten anyway.

This is a picture of a shirt that I made that has the type sleeve I am talking about doing.

photobucket.com/user/nana-2-3/media/image_zpsf0b67e3e.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
Last edited by nana judy on October 8th, 2013, 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Judy
nana judy

Postby suep » October 8th, 2013, 3:11 pm

My shirt is short sleeve. A long sleeve shirt would just be uncomfortable and wouldn't be worn. I love my shirt.
suep

Postby angelalee511 » October 8th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Judy, that is a great solution! I'm going to do just that! Thanks so much. Bet I don't make that mistake again! :rotflo:
angelalee511

Postby nana judy » October 8th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Sue, i hope you will post a picture of your shirt. I know you did a great job.

Angela, that is also another solution-- you could change yours to short sleeves.
Judy
nana judy

Postby angelalee511 » October 15th, 2013, 10:39 am

My shirt is almost finished!! Yay! I have button holes left and that little tab thing. Which brings me to my (hopefully) very last question. :rotflo: I do not have another pattern that has that pointed tab. Does anyone have just that piece they'd like to share or give me some idea on how to get a perfect point in the width needed? I am working with linen, and that stuff moves around like crazy. I don't want to wing it since it will be very prominent.
angelalee511

Postby nana judy » October 15th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Angela, I just got home but Ill get the measurements and directions fir you in a little bit.
Judy
nana judy

Postby nana judy » October 15th, 2013, 5:04 pm

This is the tab from the other white shirt that I made. It was a rectangle and i added the point because I thought it would look better.

Cut 4 rectangles of fabric 2 x7 inches on the straight grain. Mark the center of one of the 2" ends which is 1"( num 3 on the picture). Now measure up 1 1/2 " on each long side.(nums 1 &2) use a ruler and draw a line from 1 to 3 and another line from 2 to 3. Cut on these lines. Stitch 2 pieces together staring at one end of the long side all the way around to the top of the other 7 inch side. Leave the straight 2 inch end open. Trim,turn and press. Topstitch 1/4 inch. Make a button hole in the center of the pointed end about 1 1-2 inch from the end.

On the pattern this is from it is stitched on the sleeve 9 inches down from the shoulder seam and 1/2 way of the sleeve width.
Judy
nana judy

Postby angelalee511 » October 16th, 2013, 3:06 am

Thank you so much Judy!! I hope to get this part done today, and I will be officially done!
angelalee511

Postby terrib » October 29th, 2013, 6:13 pm

This has been the most enjoyable sew-along! I read along as you girls were sewing but just now read the whole thing again as i was copying/pasting so i can save this in my pattern packet.

Thank you, Judy, for doing this and the others of you for your nice questions, I've learned a lot and can't wait to put it into practice.
Hope it's a blessed day for everyone! Terri
terrib

Postby nana judy » October 29th, 2013, 6:31 pm

Your welcome, Teri. Hope there is something here that is helpful and encouraging.
Judy
nana judy

PreviousNext

Return to On Topic Talk