Button Up shirt Sew Along-- New Look 6232

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Re: Button Up shirt Sew Along-- New Look 6232

Postby angelalee511 » October 4th, 2013, 7:19 am

photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (122.59 KiB) Viewed 1233 times

photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (140.77 KiB) Viewed 1233 times

Okay, I think I'm doing something wrong. My sleeve placket doesn't look like yours. I have not stitched it yet. This is just pressed. I did not have card stock, so I tried to get the folds as even as possible. I will get some today to see if it makes a difference, but I don't think that's the only thing wrong. Thoughts?
angelalee511

Postby nana judy » October 4th, 2013, 7:39 am

Angela, It looks right to me. The top picture looks like it is supposed to as well as the second picture is how the narrow side should look. I don't see any puckers in the sleeve so it looks like it is folded in the right place. Those little edges on the pointed edge are hard to get straight and smooth for me without the template. It you have an old manila folder you can use that to cut your template.
Judy
nana judy

Postby angelalee511 » October 4th, 2013, 7:59 am

Thanks Judy! Yes I have a folder. I'll take it home today and redo that placket. Thanks so much!
angelalee511

Postby suep » October 4th, 2013, 5:12 pm

My collar is on and looks so good. I just have the side seams, buttonholes, and hem to put in. It will probably be Monday before I get to finish it. It started raining and the room got too dark to sew. I have no lights in my sewing room. I would put a floor lamp in there, but I only have one outlet.
suep

Postby angelalee511 » October 4th, 2013, 7:13 pm

photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (31.8 KiB) Viewed 1222 times

photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (35.71 KiB) Viewed 1222 times

I took these after I used the card stock to fix the angles. But I took these from a different angle, because it is not overlapping like I think it should.
angelalee511

Postby Karens Krafts » October 4th, 2013, 7:17 pm

I'm so glad you're posting these problem Angela. They may help me clear up my shirt problems.
Karens Krafts

Postby nana judy » October 4th, 2013, 7:26 pm

Yall it looks good to me. I will take a picture of mine and post it.
Judy
nana judy

Postby nana judy » October 4th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Sue, you are doing great. Can't wait to see your finished shirt.

Angela, here are 2 pictures of my sleeve placket from the wrong side. Now , i have heard it said of seamstresses that the inside of their garment looks as good as the outside--- I am not one of those people. But here goes.
I hope this helps but if not let me know and i will try to do something more.

Judy
nana judy

Postby nana judy » October 4th, 2013, 8:19 pm

I am going to post tomorrow's steps tonight because we are leaving early tomorrow and may not be back until lunch.

[size=Day 6150][/size] Almost finished

Steps 31-36 according to pattern instructions. Collar and collar stands

Make your collar , turn and press. Topstitch 1/4 inch from edge.

To help get a closer match on both ends of the collar stand you can use your marking pen to mark your stitching line on the interfaced side of the collar band before applying the collar stand.

Sew the interfaced collar stand to the neck edge with right sides together.
Sew the collar to the collar stand matching center and notches. Fold the collar and band section together and compare the ends making sure they are equal. If they are not equal then correct it.( You know I have had trouble with this to even be mentioning it. Lol

Collar stand sewn to shirt with collar sewn to band.

Turn up the 5/8 inch seam allowance on the long straight edge of the un -interfaced collar stand. Place the collar stands right sides together with the collar sandwiched between and sew. Trim and grade the seam clipping the curves. Turn and press. I use the Wash Away Wonder Tape to baste this as well while I topstitch.

Collar section "basted" and ready to be topstitched. Edge stitch collar band at neck edge and at collar edge.

Judy
nana judy

Postby angelalee511 » October 5th, 2013, 5:53 am

My edges are not lining up like yours. See how there is a big overlap on mine? And I think the problem is the piece on the inside. Do I fold that over just enough to cover the raw edge which makes it skinnier, or do I fold it way over to make it fatter? If I make it fatter, it will move it over enough so the edge of the top section will line up right where it's supposed to. I think that's my problem: I'm not folding it over enough. I hope that makes sense.
angelalee511

Postby angelalee511 » October 5th, 2013, 8:01 am

NEVER MIND! Once I stitched the smaller section down, it moved right into place like yours. I'm good. Sorry! I was hesitant to stitch until I thought it was right. :rotflo:
angelalee511

Postby nana judy » October 6th, 2013, 3:25 am

[size=Day 7 and last day of the Sew Along150][/size]

Hem, Buttons and Buttonholes

If you notice the pictures for steps 27-29 you will see that the front band is longer I n the pictures than the shirt fronts and it has you do something different to the front bands for the hem. I have made 3 shirts by this pattern and for some reason my front bands were not longer. So I hemmed my shirt in one continuous narrow hem from one front around to the next. If your bands were longer like the pics you can finish th ehem like th epattern states or just trim off the bands level with the fronts and hem which is what I would do.
Make sure the two fronts are the same length. Do a narrow hem on the tail of the shirt by turning up 1/4 inch and pressing then turn up another 1/4 inch and press. Stitch.
Mark your buttonholes on the right for ladies and left for men. you can use the guide in the pattern on the front band pattern piece for the distance. I make mine 3 1/4 inches apart.

Press your finished shirt and enjoy!!

and post pics
Judy
nana judy

Postby KathyD » October 6th, 2013, 4:20 am

nana judy wrote:for some reason my front bands were not longer.

This is a common problem with most any shirt pattern. I suspect that sometimes the problem may be that the entire band shrinks slightly when you apply the interfacing - particularly if you haven't pre-shrunk the interfacing. If you make this shirt again, you should cut the front bands about 1" - 2" longer and then when you get to the step of finishing off the front band, you can do as the pattern suggests and trim off the excess fabric.

Great sew along Judy! I've enjoyed reading and following and cannot wait to see all the finished pictures. :)

Kathy
KathyD

Postby angelalee511 » October 6th, 2013, 5:23 am

My front bands were not longer either, but I thought it was because the picture showed the shirt already hemmed when I got to the point of applying the band.
angelalee511

Postby angelalee511 » October 6th, 2013, 5:26 am

I have fallen behind because of my plackets. I got my shirt sleeves in yesterday. I notice they hang off my shoulders a bit too far, which means they will be worse for my friend, Sarah. I have stopped at this point, because I want to fit her. If I have to take the sleeves off, now is the time to do it rather than later. I should be able to do that today.
angelalee511

PreviousNext

Return to On Topic Talk