"A Sewing Together" for Reverse Knot Dress

Let's chat about everything sewing.

"A Sewing Together" for Reverse Knot Dress

Postby SewingForAll » July 11th, 2011, 5:40 pm

Anyone interested?? Ask questions, make suggestions, post your finished photos here. Gather your supplies and let's get started!!
SewingForAll

Re: "A Sewing Together" for Reverse Knot Dress

Postby nonie » July 11th, 2011, 6:17 pm

Do we get a suppy list? Sounds like lots of fun and will inspire us to get going on something new and fun.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby bnbmom » July 11th, 2011, 7:08 pm

Angie has asked me to post a few suggestions because I started this trend, lol. Here is where you can get the pattern www.kissingkumquats.etsy.com. There are two different sizes. Or you can be like niener and use patterns you already own to create something similar. I have owned this pattern for a while and have used it several times. I have talked with the owner of kissing kumquats recently and she may be having a cross country move in the near future and put her shop on vacation mode while she does this. So, if you are thinking about getting the pattern you should do it soon.

I do a few things different than the pattern states but that is just because I like to do things certain ways. For the hem band, I prefer a double fold hem band rather than how the pattern states. It is easy to do this instead. You just need to do a little math. Take the width measurement and subtract the seam allowance and the hem allowance. Then multiply this number by two and add the seam allowance (x2). Then sew the side seams and iron the band with wrong sides together and sew it to the skirt, serge, and top stitch. Also, in the smaller sizes the directions say to only cut one skirt and band piece and the seam will be in the back. I like symmetry and like to have seams on the sides so I just add the additional seam allowances and cut two pieces. Neither of these things are neccesary changes but that is just my preference.

As far as fabric suggestions, sometimes I use the same fabric for the bodice and hem band and sometimes I use the same fabrics for the straps and hemband. You will need 3 coordinating fabrics. I recently posted 2 dresses that I made with this pattern. One was with fabrics from the Happier collection by Riley Blake and the other was with Strawberry Tea Party fabrics from Michael Miller. I have all of these fabrics still available in my etsy shop. I also still have several fabrics from Riley Blake's summer song collection and there are several possible combinations with those. This line is now discontinued but I still have a lot left. The High Tea, Hearts O' Plenty, and Aqua Dumb Dots would also make a nice dress. I also ordered some fabrics from freespirit from Dena Designs from the Kumari Garden and her new line Taza. They are suppose to ship anytime after the 15th of this month (Taza doesn't come out until then). These fabrics would make pretty reverse knot dresses again with several possible combinations. I have also pre-ordered several prints from Sandi Henderson's new line Secret Garden but those do not come out until August.

If anyone feels like they are not good at matching up coordinating fabrics, feel free to ask me for help. I think I am pretty good at it.

Last but not least, if you have read through all my ramblings , I have created a coupon code for 10% off in my fabric shop especially for this challenge. Use the coupon code "ESSEWTOGETHER" (without the quotes) and you will get 10% off your whole order (before shipping). If you need different amounts than what is listed, just contact me and I will set up a reserved listing. If you do not like etsy, I can send you a paypal invoice for what you need and you will still get 10% off.
Jennifer

Fabric etsy store: www.baileygirlsfabric.etsy.com
Boutique etsy store: www.baileygirlsboutique.etsy.com
bnbmom

Postby Linda in NM » July 12th, 2011, 4:40 am

My pattern is ordered! I really don't know if I'll be able to "Sew Together" but I sure would love to get in the sewing room!
Linda in NM
Linda in NM

Postby grammylou » July 12th, 2011, 5:06 am

Woohoo! This sounds like fun! :D Thank you for the special discount Jennifer. I'll have to go take a look at your fabrics. :) My friend and I already ordered the Strawberry Tea Party from you but I have other plans for that.
Laurie
grammylou

Postby love to stitch » July 12th, 2011, 6:14 am

Hmmmm...I have a pattern similar to this soooooo I just might have to join in the fun too.
Carol

Laughter is timeless, Imagination has no age, and Dreams are forever. - Walt Disney
love to stitch

Postby bnbmom » July 12th, 2011, 6:49 am

I hope my Kumari garden fabric comes soon because that is what I want to use. Right now I am in the middle of making the crib skirt for the nursery.
Jennifer

Fabric etsy store: www.baileygirlsfabric.etsy.com
Boutique etsy store: www.baileygirlsboutique.etsy.com
bnbmom

Postby genniewren » July 12th, 2011, 8:21 am

I don't have this pattern, and I don't have anyone to make a dress for. I did check on the website to see if there were any closeups or schematics of the bodice, but there weren't...
I was thinking of making a dolly version but I have a few questions:
Can someone tell me if there is a fastening in the back yoke, or is it all one piece? Also, are the buttonholes for the ties angled, or vertical?
Thank you.
genniewren

Postby nonie » July 12th, 2011, 1:26 pm

I have my pattern and the fabric is ordered. I am planning to make two dresses, it has been awhile since I made the girls matching dresses.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby ShirleyC » July 12th, 2011, 7:48 pm

I just can't justify buying another pattern right now. I have some with similar bodices, but looking at the back of the dress, what keeps the top from sagging since the tie/bow is tied below that? Get my drift?
ShirleyC

Postby SewingForAll » July 12th, 2011, 8:03 pm

There are two buttonholes that the straps are threaded through and then you tie the bow. Hope this makes sense!!
SewingForAll

Postby Hettielynn » July 12th, 2011, 9:05 pm

I want to participate. Makenzie saw the cute pictures and said that she would love a dress like that. Hopefully I will have some fabric in my stash. Jennifer, thanks for offering us a discount. I'll have to check out your fabrics. I may be dragging up the rear in finishing. This has been a very eventful few weeks, some good, some not, so there is a lot I need to catch up on.
Hettie Lynn
Hettielynn

Postby love to stitch » July 13th, 2011, 9:03 am

I picked up one fabric this morning while running errands and just ordered a second fabric for the dress. I'm working on outfits for the grandkids for a Disney trip in September, this dress will be for DGD's trip to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique at the Magic Kingdom. I have a fancy dress planned for her to change into when she leaves the boutique to have lunch at Cinderella's Royal table.
Carol

Laughter is timeless, Imagination has no age, and Dreams are forever. - Walt Disney
love to stitch

Postby ShirleyC » July 13th, 2011, 9:11 am

I will do my best to participate even if it looks different. LOL I have to finish what I'm working on, and I HAVE to make Cayden something before I can even think about giving Shelby anything else.
ShirleyC

Postby HoltsSadie » July 15th, 2011, 1:53 pm

I got the pattern so I'm in!!
HoltsSadie

Next

Return to On Topic Talk