Just wondering-or inquiring minds want to know

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Just wondering-or inquiring minds want to know

Postby nonie » January 3rd, 2011, 11:34 pm

I posted this topic on the blog and it is so much fun I will re-post it here for those that don't follow blogs.

1. what is it about sewing that really pushes your creative button?

2. Do you buy fabric on line or do you prefer to see and feel the fabric?

3. Where do you sew? Do you have your own space?

4. In this coming year, what new skills do you want to learn? Doesn't have to be sewing related.

5. Do you plan to add a new machine to your collection?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: Just wondering-or inquiring minds want to know

Postby julianna'smommy » January 4th, 2011, 12:56 am

I like that I can take an idea that I have in my mind and make it reality.

Both. I have quilt shops, Hancocks and JoAnn's within an hour or so but live many hours from stores that sell heirloom fabrics and laces.

I have a small office/sewing room but it's dark and on the lower level of our home so I bring my machine upstairs to sew at the dining room table. :lol:

4. In this coming year, what new skills do you want to learn? Doesn't have to be sewing related.
This year I want to learn how to sew, smock, and embroider more professionally. I'm also learning how to knit. Four years ago (the night before my daughter was born) my mom started teaching me how to knit a baby blanket. Last weekend she re-taught me and the blanket is nearly finished. Very excited to have that unfinished project almost finished!! :rotflo:

I wish!
julianna'smommy

Postby KathyD » January 4th, 2011, 4:28 am

Everything! I love the feel of the fabrics, putting together fabric combinations, visualizing what some little person will look like in the new clothes, etc. I just love to sew and embellish - smocked, machine embroidered, hand embroidered, etc. Not only is it relaxing to me, but it's so enjoyable to create something from "stuff".

Definitely prefer to touch and see the fabric in person. However, with limited local supplies, I generally drive to MaryJo's for buying most fabrics. When I know that they won't have what I need, buying online is what I have to do.

Have my own space and LOVE it! It's a separate room in the basement, next to the family room.

I'm definitely trying to learn new computer skills. That would be such an asset with the sewing that I'm doing.

Nope - no new machines for me. :rotflo:
KathyD

Postby Keeping » January 4th, 2011, 6:31 am

Being able to have or give things that I wouldn't be able to if I didn't make them. This is a major motivation!

Being able to create something. People NEED to create, don't they?

Being able to have clothing that fits and suits my tastes exactly. I love this. :-)

Being able to create something that wouldn't exist if I didn't make it. Even if I could afford to buy almost any clothing available, there are so many wonderful ideas that could be made but haven't been. I'm not sure that made sense! :lol:

I think the thing I love most about sewing is the patterns. I just love patterns!

I don't have good options locally. Actually, I've never shopped locally because there isn't anything in the main town we go to except WM. I would like to see and feel the fabric, especially for color matching, but it's actually easier for me to shop online.

In my bedroom. I guess I could say I have my own space since I don't share the bedroom with anyone but the sewing doesn't have it's own space. I mean, it's a bedroom, a sewing room, an office, and a storage room, and I also operate a business and an additional Etsy shop out of this space. No wonder I've annexed the library/guest room and spill over into the hallway. :lol: I think it would be lovely to have a sewing room!

Non-sewing related: I want to learn to make hominy, corn tortillas, and tofu. Sewing related: I want to learn how to make bias (efficiently) and piping, and learn to sew piping into a garment.

No.
~~~~
Website: Keeping Home Join the Positive Homekeeping Weekly Challenge!
Etsy #1: Keeping Home I de-stash here.
Etsy #2: Grandmother's Parlor
Keeping

Postby Rosieq » January 4th, 2011, 7:42 am

A sense of self-satisfaction perhaps is the most motivating factor...feeling good about oneself.
Being able to make things that aren't "on the rack" at less expense...plus just being able to make those things because they are not available in small town USA.

I would love to be able to buy all my fabric in my local fabric shop...but the two owner's and my tastes are not the same. I'm just not suited to Civil War/Early Americana in my quilting, let alone in the sewing I do for my DGD and DGS. Therefore, I am buying more online...unless I'm visiting one of my sons where my choices are much broader. I do like to see the fabric for quilts or if I have a specific home dec project...such as placemats that match my dishes. And, yes, I do love to look at fabric in a store and just get a fabric fix! I do like the on-line prices better!

I have a huge sewing room in the lower level...that needs some cleaning and organization. It is just too easy to close the door, and ignore the mess when I am not sewing. Now that I have that dedicated space...I sometimes wish I had a space on the upper level where my DH is...closer to just make casual comments .

Oh, I don't have any "new" skills that I want to learn...just improving and becoming more imaginative...and working on my organization skills. I know when I made the dresses in November with the Russian Doll fabric and embroidery, I really did a lot of preplanning, sketching, and redesigning the pattern and was so vey happy with the end results.

No, I have an unused serger, a featherweight, a small machine to take to retreats and workshops, and my Baby Lock, plus the first machine I owned, and a few others that I have inherited along the way from friends. Hopefully, the computer continues in my Baby Lock for a very long time!!!
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby genniewren » January 4th, 2011, 11:17 am

I don't know what specifically pushes my buttons. I've always sewn. When I was 4 I embroidered a tray cloth for my headmistress at primary school. I was given my first sewing machine when I was about 6 by an old lady at church. I had made a blouse for my younger sister - I made her lie down on the floor on the fabric and drew round her with chalk, cut it out with mum's shears and sewed it on my doll sewing machine. My sister wore the blouse to sunday school - mum didn't notice because she already had her coat on. hahaha. Since then you'll be pleased to know that I've learned to use commerical patterns and also to draft my own patterns from slopers. I love the variety of things you can sew. I've made wedding dresses, smocked baby clothes and heirloom christening gowns, victorian satin style metal boned corsets, day to day clothes for all shapes and sizes; dressing up clothes, I've knitted aran sweaters, icelandic yoked sweaters, lace shawls, I've crocheted baby clothes and scarves, I've made well over 750 teddy bears in sizes from half an inch to a yard tall and sold them all over the world, and I also embroider (although I have no patience for charted cross stitch).

I do buy fabric online when I have to. But I do prefer to see and feel it. Especially if I'm making something special. I like to find out how the fabric drapes, how it creases. I spend time running my hands over the bolts of fabric to see how it feels (but I get funny looks from the sales assistants when I do this). The difference in quality of quilting fabric in a single parcel was an eye opener when I ordered online for the first time. Some was so thick it was almost furnishing fabric, other stuff was as fine as tana lawn from Libertys.

I have a sewing room. It is a single bedroom in our house, but there's no bed in it. I have two sewing tables - one with my main machine and overlocker on it, the other table has my coverstitcher (which I rarely use) and my Innovis 1500D (which is always set up for embroidery as I don't use it for sewing). I also have 2 moving stacks of drawers full of overlocking thread and sewing thread, a rolling set of drawers with haberdashery (notions) in it and things like scissors, pins, etc; and a built in single wardrobe that's been converted to shelving for my plastic crates of fabric and knitting yarn. If I want to cut out something adult sized I use my durabac cutting board on top of the large table in the dining room downstairs.

I have been looking at tatting, but I think it might be beyond me now I'm almost 50! Otherwise I plan to improve my continental knitting skills. I am a very fast knitter using the traditional method and don't have to let go of the needles, but I've been told that the continental way of knitting will be kinder to my wrists as I'm suffering with carpal tunnel syndrome at the moment.

I don't plan to add one, but I've had my eye on an embellisher for a while now. I think they are fascinating. I'm just not sure I would get enough use out of it to warrant buying one.
genniewren

Postby SDanburg » January 4th, 2011, 11:42 am

I love the process of taking a pattern, finding fabric, putting it all together into something unique. I love seeing someone use what I made, and I love seeing the finished product.

I prefer to see and feel the fabric, but my choices are pretty limited close by me, so I've ordered "known" items, such as batiste and designer cottons from online.

I have a sewing room that was an old bedroom, coverted. It has my cutting table, a chest of drawers for patterns, material, and project instructions. I have a plastic set of drawers that holds buttons and trims. My ironing board is always up in the sewing room. There's a stereo and television in there. I'm missing a refrigerator and microwave and I'd be set! It's right across the landing from the master bedroom, and I can't get enough of it! I don't always sew while I'm in there, but it's my "zen-like" space where I can be creative and expressive. My work doesn't allow me to do that, and I'm by nature, creative, so this is my "spot"!

I'm a goal-oriented person, so if I set my mind to learning something, I want to do it NOW and I want to do it COMPLETELY! So learning a language or the piano will take more than a year, although I have wanted to do both for years and still haven't started - too many other things to do. This year I'd like to learn to pleat my own fabrics and smock better. I'd also like to become more adept at all things sewing - blindhemming on my machine, serging, etc.

Nope - added two in 2010. I think I'm good. For now. 8)
SDanburg

Postby emilyb » January 4th, 2011, 3:00 pm

1. I love having the ability to envision a project, select the fabric and pattern and bring it to fruition. Being able to create something different is very self-satisfying to me.

2. Like many others, I would prefer to fondle fabric before purchasing but do a fair amount of on-line shopping, especially standard basic fabrics. My local sources are non-existent for heirloom material so I try to buy that when at a school or out-of-town store.

3. I do have a designated sewing room that is bulging at the seams so have a few over-flow areas as well. When we designed the sewing room, my involvement was not at the degree it is now or dh would not have a room for his toys 2 1/2 times the size of my sewing room!! We have talked of moving my sewing room to a bigger room, but lighting, wall areas, etc. have prevented me from making the move.

4. My goals for 2011 are to become a better seamstress, achieve Artisan designation in SAGA and try my hand at some original designs.

5. I cannot see a new sewing machine in my immediate future. I become attached to my machines and do not want to part with them, hence a collection already.

Del
emilyb

Postby lew » January 4th, 2011, 4:52 pm

1. I love to see the finished project, stand back and really amaze myself that I did that. It's my time to relax, usually, when I'm sewing I don't have any other problems or worries. I love it when my DGD's say "my grandma made this"

2.I have to feel and see the material, I'm not very knowledgeable about material, so I have to see it. I have bought online one time and was happy with what I got.

3. I use to sew and cut out at the dining room table, now that I know none of my kids are moving back home, 2 of them did a few years ago, I have the spare bedroom set up for my sewing. I have a table for cutting out, and then have a table for my machine and have my serger set up on my mom's old sewing machine cabinet. I have a portable ironing table and iron set up also. I don't have a very big "stash" so I have 4 bins slid under my cutting table and then have 3 other 4drawer chests for all the "stuff"

4. I told my DDIL just yesterday that "I want to perfect my craft" so I want to improve on what I do know and learn new techniques, and I want to use both my sewing machine and serger in there full capacitiy.

5. I would love to get and embrodery machine, but I don't know if that will be possible, other than that I might have to settle for some more feet for my sewing machine.

Doreen
lew

Postby bnbmom » January 4th, 2011, 6:25 pm

i like to bring the vision that is in my head to life and create unique things that no one else has

I buy it online (now from the manufactuer) because I like the high quality expensive stuff and I can get a better deal online. But, I recently found a quilt shop by my house that carries these fabrics and has some killer deals sometimes.

I have my own sewing room. I am using one of the bedrooms in my house. I recently had a custom table and cabinets built.

Just to improve on my sewing skills.

I want a Babylock serger that can also do coverlock but I have to save my money.
Jennifer

Fabric etsy store: www.baileygirlsfabric.etsy.com
Boutique etsy store: www.baileygirlsboutique.etsy.com
bnbmom

Postby joy_bugg73 » January 5th, 2011, 7:55 am

I like knowing that I have the opportunity to give my children “one of a kind” garments. I also like having the opportunity to see something in those “over priced” boutiques and being able to reproduce the look at home, I have found out however that most home sewing is not really cost effective, but really what hobby is?
DH collects wine, he has lots of bottles that are over $100 and coolers to put them in that are over $1000...I see it as an equal hobby!…LOL

Anytime I have bought fabric online I have ordered a swatch first. I am a toucher feeler…

3. Where do you sew?
I have my sewing space set up in my sun room overlooking our pool and back deck area. It is a shared space but nice just the same.
Do you have your own space?
Kind of…only because I have TAKEN OVER the sun room!

4. In this coming year, what new skills do you want to learn?
Have already learned to SMOCK…well I have been taught! The jury is still out as to weather or not I will truly learn!

I sure do…many things are up in the air right now…but a new machine is at the very top of my wish list. I have a jar and I am dropping spear change into it every day! Sure whish life as adult was like it was when I was a kid…my mom would match my savings if there was something big I wanted…HINT HINT….?LOL
http://stitch-n-mama.blogspot.com

Only together can we change the world for our chlidren
joy_bugg73

Postby Claire623 » January 5th, 2011, 1:33 pm

I like the process, from drafting to designing to execution. It appeals to my nature - detail oriented, with a distinct disinterest in stuff for stuffs sake (I'm looking at you, cross-stitch samplers! :))

I buy almost all my fabric in person because I'm blessed with a plethora of excellent fabric shops locally. I've only bought one or two pieces of fabric online, although I purchase most of my lace and heirloom stuff that way, since it's the one thing I can't get locally.

Until six weeks ago, on my dining room table. Now, I have the world's smallest sewing room but it has a door, a big window and a place to store my stuff. It's fantastic. All my smocking is done wherever the nearest comfy chair is!

I'd like to learn to tat and learn how to really shape lace.

Not unless I get six numbers from the weekly lottery, I don't :lol:
Claire623

Return to On Topic Talk