Our Feliz sewalong

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Our Feliz sewalong

Postby nonie » September 6th, 2010, 9:34 am

There are several of you that will be sewing the Feliz and of coarse we want to see a picture of your finished dress. In order to see all of them, I am asking that you please post the pictures in the gallery, not on the forum. That way each picture will be able to have it's own comment section.

Thank you so much
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: Our Feliz sewalong

Postby lindastein7 » September 7th, 2010, 8:08 am

Hello ladies! I hope you're all ready to cut out your Feliz dresses today.
1.I traced the pattern pieces but didn't add my seams as I do that as I cut. You can add them to your traced patterns if you so desire.

2.Next I took the front/back facing and laid it on the side pattern piece so I could see how deep to cut the facing. You need to have it the same length as the
front back facings.

3. Now we are ready to cut out the dress.
Cut 2 of the front/back pattern piece.
Cut 2 of the side dress piece.
Cut 2 of each facing, that is 2 of the front/back facing and 2 of the side facing.
Cut 4 of each shoulder strap.
Cut 2 sash pieces.

Please ignore the long back facing piece as I traced it by mistake. You don't need that piece as we are doing the single layer.
I hope you can see how I made the side facing pattern.
Now you should be ready to cut and we'll continue tomorrow with the next step.
Please let me know if there are any questions.
Linda
lindastein7

Postby lindastein7 » September 8th, 2010, 3:58 am

Day 2!

1.Today you will need to do any embroidery that you plan to put on the dress.

2. Trims can also be added at this time as you want them to be incorporated into the seams of the dress.

The front of my dress. You can add designs, trims, lace or rick rack to make your dress one of a kind.
It is all up to your imagination.
The side of my dress. It can also be embellished.

As this will take some time to do it may take up 2 days to get done.
Some of you are using print fabric and may not be doing embroidery on your dress so just bear with us as we decorate.
Linda
lindastein7

Postby lindastein7 » September 8th, 2010, 4:58 pm

Update! If you are putting ruffles on the back of the dress that needs to be done before we can sew it together. I'll talk more about that tomorrow morning.
Linda
lindastein7

Postby lindastein7 » September 9th, 2010, 3:56 am

Day 3!

Today we are going to sew the sashes, the shoulder straps and ruffles. Sorry I'm running a bit slow today, I guess jet lag has caught up with me. :)

Here are the sashes and straps sewn. We will need to turn them inside out and press them and then top stitch all pieces.
Yes, I cheated and made my straps one piece. If you look at the picture you can see how I taped the strap pieces together matching the markings.
I'm putting 3 ruffles on the back and cut them 3 inches wide and the width of the fabric. I will cut them off later when I see how long I need them.
Each ruffle will be a different length.
You can make your ruffles as wide as you like and also as many rows as you desire. It looks beautiful with 5 rows or more down the back.

May post more steps later today.
Linda
lindastein7

Postby angelap » September 9th, 2010, 11:24 am

Thanks for the tip for taping the straps together. Now I know which end of the pattern is the shoulder & which ends get sewn to the front & back. Teri
Last edited by angelap on September 9th, 2010, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelap

Postby lindastein7 » September 9th, 2010, 11:58 am

The wider end of the strap is the front end. Thinner end is the back.
Linda
lindastein7

Postby angelap » September 9th, 2010, 12:06 pm

Thanks, Linda. I forgot to mark that on the pieces. Plus I was confused about which ends are the shoulders, but your picture really helped.
angelap

Postby lindastein7 » September 9th, 2010, 12:06 pm

This afternoon I've been sewing on the next step of the dress.
I have turned my straps and sashes and pressed and top stitched. Now their ready for when I sew the dress together.
I also stitched the 3 facings together and finished the bottom edge.

Here I have sewn the facing to the back and finished the bottom edge. I also turned and pressed the facing and top stitched it.
Then I drew lines for 3 casings for the 3/8" elastic I will use. I made the casings 5/8" wide. I will now sew the casings.

The next step will be to put the ruffles on the dress back if you are going to use them.
I have already finished the hem of my ruffles with a rolled hem but you can also do a narrow hem if you don't have a serger.
Linda
lindastein7

Postby lindastein7 » September 9th, 2010, 1:12 pm

The 3 facings are sewn together and then hemmed but that is as far as we go at this point. Nothing else was done to the facings.

You're correct about the back and the facing. The casings for the elastic are marked in white. I can see it on my screen. I know it is hard to
see the top stitching on the brown fabric.

For the ruffles you will cut as many widths of fabric as you will need. The higher ruffles on the back will not need as much fabric.
You may get by with just 4 strips of fabric. This dress is a lot of guessing on the part of the sewer. :rotflo:
The ruffles can be very full or not, it all depends on how you like them to look.
Linda
lindastein7

Postby lindastein7 » September 9th, 2010, 1:21 pm

Here is a better picture of the casings which are 5/8 inches wide. I will use 3/8" elastic
Linda
lindastein7

Postby nonie » September 9th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Thank you Linda, I am now caught up :rotflo:
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby lindastein7 » September 10th, 2010, 3:08 am

Day 4! Sure hope you're all enjoying this sew along!

Today I'm putting the ruffles on the back of the dress. In the picture I'm showing you how I marked the lines for the placement of the ruffles.
You can also see that I turned 1/4" down on the top of the ruffle and then I gathered it. Next I will pin and zig zag the ruffles to the dress.
You can sew the ruffles anyway you choose.

My next step will be putting the 3/8" elastic in the back. I will get that done as soon as I sew these ruffles on.
Linda
lindastein7

Postby lindastein7 » September 10th, 2010, 9:54 am

Moving right along. The ruffles are sewn to the back and the elastic is in the casings. I used 1/2" elastic because it was a better fit.
I'm making a size 7/8 and cut my elastic strips 5 1/2 inches. You will have to try and figure out what size to cut your elastic according to the size you
are making. Don't worry if it is too loose as the sashes will pull the dress in. I haven't trimmed the elastic or the ruffles but they will be trimmed when I serge
the dress side seams.

Now I have sewn the sashes to the front of the dress. If you notice there are markings for the sash on the side pattern piece and I used these markings
to place my sashes.
Last edited by lindastein7 on September 10th, 2010, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
lindastein7

Postby nonie » September 10th, 2010, 9:58 am

Me again-- I have no idea what happened to my last list of questions so hope these stick.

1. The ruffles, how far apart are your lines?
2. How far up from the bottom do we mark our line?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Next

Return to On Topic Talk