Help with Singer Touch and Sew 758 jamming up

Just learning how to sew? Ask us for help. No question is too simple or complex.

Help with Singer Touch and Sew 758 jamming up

Postby blue_kaali » April 20th, 2011, 11:50 am

Hello, I am hoping someone can offer some advice on why my machine keeps jamming up. I have a Singer 758 Touch & Sew. Image Here's a picture of it. I am not sure how long this machine has been sitting for. I plan on cleaning it soon and maybe that will help, so here's whats going on.

The problem is the upper thread jams up in the bobbin case. I can sew a few stitches and then it gets stuck. The thread is all bunched up underneath the fabric and if I open the front plate, i see the upper thread is all jammed up and caught around the bobbin case.

Here is a photo of the problem. Image

I can see that the thread gets caught on the right lower side were there is a latch that keeps the bobbin case in place.

Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it?

I have already threaded and re-threaded the machine according to the manual. I have tried a new bobbin. I have wound new bobbins. I have replaced the needle. I also don't see anything visibly stuck inside underneath the bobbin casing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get sewing again!
blue_kaali
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Help with Singer Touch and Sew 758 jamming up

Postby nonie » April 20th, 2011, 3:53 pm

I am not real sure why that is happening. Since the machine has been sitting for awhile clean it before doing anything, there could be old lint packed into places you can't see. If I remember right those machines also need a good oiling. the longer it has set the dryer it has become, so cleaning just might fix the problem.
Usually if you are having problems with the bobbin thread it is caused by the top threading, again maybe some lint has built up the the tension dials and you are not getting correct threading.

Just an idea, I am sure others will drop in with their ideas.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Rosieq » April 20th, 2011, 5:41 pm

I'm not sure how old the 758 is...nor how old my son's touch and sew was..but it had rubberized feed dogs....and as I was cleaning it (after he purchased at a rummage sale) the feed dogs started disintergrating and just a metal base remained. But, if your feed dogs are in good shape...clean and oil it well, look in the manual for the correct placement of the needle.

You can order new feed dogs...at about $29.00 if your local sewing machine man doesn't want to order them for you. The book had a detailed explanation for tearing that part of the machine down...you can replace yourself.

Google Touch and Sew Sewing Machine Feed Dogs to find someone to order from.

Good Luck...My DS's machine still didn't work well...but they ended up with a lovely sewing desk for the new machine they replaced that one with.
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby blue_kaali » April 22nd, 2011, 11:10 pm

Thanks for all the feedback! So today I got my replacement feed dog and cleaning supplies. The rubber one was a bit denigrated, so I replaced it with the netal one. I also brushed out and oiled around the bobbin and also where the arm is. I am still getting the birds nest every time. I checked again the threading on the upper thread. I also adjusted the bobbin tension, but still no luck.

I dont know what else to try at this point. This is my first time problem solving with a macine...i always had my mom fix in the past. So I dont know anything!
blue_kaali
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Rosieq » April 23rd, 2011, 5:27 am

If I remember correctly (and the manual will tell you) there is a little lever you switch in the bobbin area that will release the whole thing...so you can get that mat of lint up from that area. Do you have an air tank...just take your machine to it (if portable) or it to you machine, and blow the heck out of that area. I found all sorts of stuff I could not get too when DH blew my machine out. (I do a lot of "stuff" you shouldn't...but living so far from a repair person, one gets resourceful)...

I hope it works for you...after purchasing the metal feed dog.

BTW, if you don't have the manual go to www.singerco.com and there is a spot there for manuals. You will need you model number...and I don't think that is the 758 number--but I could be wrong. IT is just a free download....watch out for other sites above or below it if you google--they sale the books.

Rosieq
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby blue_kaali » April 23rd, 2011, 11:55 am

Hello again, Thanks a can of air is a good idea!
blue_kaali
New Poster
New Poster

Postby tami4497 » October 7th, 2012, 2:41 pm

I had the same problem with the birds nest in the bobbin...I think I finally found the problem. (at least for now). There's a little ridge around the bobbin holder that I cleaned out using a tiny screwdriver...like the size you use for glasses. For now, its working. I'll try to add some pictures if I can figure out how.

Tami
IMG_9115-001.JPG
I had the same problem with the bobbin bird nest syndrome...
IMG_9115-001.JPG (174.78 KiB) Viewed 4040 times
IMG_9122-001.JPG
I found a lot of gunk and lint in the ridge of the bobbin holder...this picture was taken after I cleaned it out. (I should've taken a picture of the amount of junk that was in it.)
IMG_9122-001.JPG (104.98 KiB) Viewed 4040 times
IMG_9129-001.JPG
I cleaned it out using a very small screwdriver-the size you would use for fixing eye glasses.
IMG_9129-001.JPG (61.39 KiB) Viewed 4040 times
tami4497
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Denim » October 16th, 2012, 6:41 pm

it will also help to use a new needle
also make sure that the top thread has not come off the thread take up lever.
also make sure the bobbin is turned the right way in the bobbin case, cause turning bobbin the wrong way can cause the machine to jam.
if you don't have a manual,, here's a free one
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/download/6dc4cd61b0c61a5fc13e60785f01d29199328059.pdf
Denim

Return to Basic-Beginner Sewing