Bodice, lining...how to attach straps

Just learning how to sew? Ask us for help. No question is too simple or complex.

Bodice, lining...how to attach straps

Postby becca24jg » January 3rd, 2009, 12:27 am

Ok, I am very new to sewing, and absolutely loving it one minute, so excited, and times like now ready to throw everything out the window in frustration.

I am currently working on a top. I have the square bodice cut and sewn on each side, I have the lining cut and sewn on each side, and I have the straps cut, just as directed. (Also have the bottom to attach to the bodice ready, but this is not where the problem lies.)

The directions say:
Pin the right side of the strap to the bodice front as marked on the pattern. Line up the edge of the strap with the top edge of the bodice. Baste in place 3/8" away from the edge.
Lining up the ede of the strap with the top edge of the back bodice pin the straps in place. Baste straps to bodice with a 3/8" seam.
Turn your bodice so the right side is facing in. Turn your lining so the right side is facing out. Place the lining on the inside of the bodice and pin it to the top edge. Machine stitch a 1/2" seam all the way around the top making sure to back tack at the beginning and end. Clip threads and turn so the wrong sides are together, pulling straps out.

OK...if I sew a 1/2" seam all the way around, this sews my straps in so how do I pull them out. Everything was going so perfect and I was so proud, and now I want to just cry. I just don't get this. And this being the first project on my own, is makes me think I will never get good at this.

Any advice anyone can give me, would be much appreciated. I have searched the internet, u-tube for video reference, everywhere and can't seem to find anything that is helping me understand how to do this.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Also,
I am also wanting to do patchwork clothing, and someone told me to sew all my patches together making on big piece of fabric, and then cut my pattern out of that. If I do that, won't that make all the seams unstable and fall apart?
becca24jg

Re: Bodice, lining...how to attach straps

Postby Linda in NM » January 3rd, 2009, 5:21 am

I'm scratching my head a little bit over those instructions...huh????? Please clarify a bit. So there something attaches to the bodice at the bottom? If so, I think you would sew up one side seam, across the top (including the straps), and down the other side seam, leaving the bottom open. Then you can just turn right side out, freeing the straps.

Try reading ahead in the instructions...what happens with the bottom of the bodice. I bet that bottom seam isn't sewn just yet...it is sewn when you attach the other piece "also have the bottom to attache to the bodice ready..." I bet the answer lies a bit further ahead in the instructions. If that lower seam is sewn now (and you managed to turn it right side out :luck: ) how would it be attached to the bottom you mentioned?

Sometimes these patterns just make us think much harder than I like! I'm making a really cute dress right now, and I've thoroughly confused myself. Now, I know once I actually start this step it will make sense, but I got mad and quit last night. There will be a serged seam where I don't want a serged seam...I am pretty sure I could enclose that seam, but surely there is a reason to be told to do it the way the instructions say. The instructions are very detailed...but right now I just don't see the logic.
Linda in NM
Linda in NM

Postby Karens Krafts » January 3rd, 2009, 8:59 am

Can you give us the pattern number? Maybe someone here has the pattern and can help you.
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby becca24jg » January 3rd, 2009, 9:58 am

See the other reponse I listed, it has a link to a shirt like the one I am working on.

I have retraced my steps over and over. Its from a book I purchased, so there is no pattern number. I can scan it in, but is there a way to attach it here.

At the bottom of the bodice, is the rest of the shirt. Its for a patchwork type of top, the bodice being just the solid color that covers the bust. What I will attach to the bottom of it is the 6 strips of color, which are already assembled. This I can figure out. It is attaching the shoulder straps. Sort of like attaching straps to a sundress.

If anyone can help though, and advice me how to attach something or get it to you I will scan in the instructions. I literally typed them directly from the book, but you can't see the pictures ofcourse.

I was up till 3am trying to figure this out, with no luck.
Last edited by becca24jg on January 3rd, 2009, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
becca24jg

Postby becca24jg » January 3rd, 2009, 10:00 am

I guess what is confusing me, if the straps are basted, so attached to the top of the shirt, in the front and back, and I sew a seam all the way around the bodice top, which includes the straps, when you turn it inside out, how can you pull the straps through cause they will be sewn in.
becca24jg

Postby becca24jg » January 3rd, 2009, 10:05 am

It's something like this,
http://www.karmarose.com/amush.html
but the back of mine, is a closed back, so the burgundy top part (bodice) goes all the way around, and my straps do not criss cross. And when I refer to the attaching to the bottom, it is simply the squares which get attached to the bottom of the dress. My only dilema, is attaching those darn straps to the top.

Right now, per their instructions, the side seam on the bodice and lining have been sewn, but the top and bottom are ofcourse open.
becca24jg

Postby Hettielynn » January 3rd, 2009, 11:33 am

I don't know if I can explain this but it sounds as if your straps are sandwiched between the outside fabric and lining. Make sure your straps are on the OUTSIDE of the the top with the raw edges even, not the inside. They will be hanging down on the right side, not the inside. Baste together. When you turn it right side out the lining flips to the inside so the straps are where they are supposed to be. Let us know if you need more help.
Hettie Lynn
Hettielynn

Postby Hettielynn » January 3rd, 2009, 12:24 pm

Let's see if these picture will help. Please don't laugh at the rough tutorial! The red check represents the bodice and the light blue represents the lining. The black ribbon is the staps. I just read your instructions again and this would be reversed. Just imagine the red check turned WS out and the lining turned RS out and placed inside the red check--same principle, I just reversed it when I was quickly sewing this together.

Right side of bodice, wrong side of lining:

Straps sewn to bodice with raw edges even:

Bodice RS and lining WS with straps sandwiched between:

Stitch together:

Turn:

Flip lining to inside:
Hettie Lynn
Hettielynn

Postby Karens Krafts » January 3rd, 2009, 1:30 pm

Hettilynn, that was what I thought she needed, but didn't know how to do it. Thanks for taking care of it for us!
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby rougealar » January 3rd, 2009, 9:52 pm

Excellent instructions Hettielynn :D
Diane from Toledo
rougealar

Return to Basic-Beginner Sewing