Sewing man looking for knowledge

Just learning how to sew? Ask us for help. No question is too simple or complex.

Re: Sewing man looking for knowledge

Postby KarenVA » February 3rd, 2017, 7:51 am

Lynda Maynard has a great book called De-Mystifying Fit that you might like. And you can always send your measurements to a company to make a sloper for you--for example: http://pattern.stringcodes.com/main_basic.html
KarenVA
"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa
KarenVA

Postby Karens Krafts » February 3rd, 2017, 8:43 am

I am not a real talented sewer, but love the art of sewing. Mostly do young girls clothes. Most women that sew, quilt. I just can get interested in cutting up square pieces of fabric, sewing them together and ending up with another square piece of fabric. I see the beauty in the finished quilt, but not interested in doing that.
With that said, I'll talk a bit of woodworking. I'm a widow, and my husband was a woodworker by hobby. Would have loved to of gone to some of the schools. He only went to one for turning, and belonged to a turners club locally. He turned our two car garage into a wood shop, and then built me a sewing room on the back of that. Not the best combination with all of the sawdust. I have many, many 'Fine Woodworking' magazines I'd love to give to someone. They start at #101. Not everyone of them, but a good size box. Let me know if you're interested.
I bought an industrial machine several years back and love it for most of my sewing. I made him a very heavy duty apron to wear in his shop, and fishing pole sleeves, so a bit more like some of your project.
We have a woman on here that is very, very talented in construction, and pattern making. She's even helped make sailboat sails. I'm sure she can give you lots of wonderful advice. She's in England, but seems to have a lot of knowledge to impart for where to get info, good books, and sites. I'm sure she'll respond in the next day or so.
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby KathyD » February 3rd, 2017, 2:02 pm

I think it's fabulous that you're willing to break into the world of sewing. With your woodworking knowledge, I'm sure you'll do great!

There's another man, Don Mc Cunn, that has written a book on pattern making. He is a retired professor and still has a forum for discussion. He's very helpful, as is his book.

http://forums.how-to-make-sewing-patterns.com

Jeffery Diduch is another very talented man that sews beautifully = for men. He's on FB and also has a great blog.

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com

Kenneth King is another amazing teacher and tailor - he has classes on Craftsy that you can purchase when on sale. He makes a lot of his own jackets, etc. and is a great teacher. I've met him and taken classes and was thrilled to meet the designer and take the classes.

There's more men sewing than you realize and once you start following these talented guys, you'll find more of them!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby angelalee511 » February 3rd, 2017, 3:43 pm

David Page Coffin is another male sewer. He has a shirt book that is fantastic IMO and he goes into great detail on measuring and fitting shirts. He shows how to draft sleeves, collars, pockets and yokes. It might be a good book for you. Personally, I think some of the classes on Craftsy on pattern making would be another good place to start. You have video tutorials that you can view whenever you want and as many times as you want. I wonder if you should start with a basic pattern then graduate to drafting your own. At least you would learn the terminology and get practice on how to fit, put the pieces together, alter the pattern, etc.
angelalee511

Return to Basic-Beginner Sewing